Thursday, December 31, 2009

Pickled Herring and Bad Dreams










I’m actually glad to be going to work today. You see I’m 2 days into this P90X and I’m a little sore…a little too sore to want to join the rest of my gang for sledding and snowboarding. I wasn’t really grooving on my first workout which was all core. I’m hard wired to think I have to be huffing and puffing at the top of my zone to be getting a good workout. I actually got on the treadmill for a quick run at the end of the series. Don’t get me wrong…it was challenging. In fact, there was a move called the Drea Roll that left me flat on my back. I flat out could not do 1 Drea roll without feeling like I was risking paralysis. I don’t think it helps matters that my surface is cement covered with a Berber carpet…no pad folks. Yesterday’s regimen was more my speed. It was cardio and basically combined vigorous yoga with various plyometric moves like lunges, squats, planks. Today is strength training, but I think I’m taking my day off due to New Year’s Eve plans. I know…I know…it’s not a good sign that I am already straying from the course, but I’m rationalizing my decision by admitting that we are perhaps a few days early in implementing healthy programs. So…I think I’m going to give it a religious try... just the day after tomorrow!

Tonight we have quiet plans to ring in the new decade with a fad of one past. We are going to have fondue. First cheese and then chocolate. Thanks 70's! Noshing is my favorite way to eat. We’ll probably play some games and drink some bubbly at the stroke of midnight. We’ll need it to wash down that nasty herring that my Mom (and Dad) always insisted we eat for good luck. Another way McGurk lives on! Every New Year’s Eve, I’d get a call from both of them reminding me to eat my pickled fish and have money in my hand at midnight. My Dad already reminded me to pick up a jar last night, and he didn’t like it when I told him we were just going to substitute a fish stick. Guilt…I mean tradition, is a strong force. I won’t…I can’t mess with it.

The boys loved Avatar maybe as much as the girls loved Princess and the Frog. What I’m not loving is the fact that I cannot get the diddy, I'm Almost There
out of my cotton pickn’ brain. I swear I was singing it in my sleep last night!

And on the subject of sleep…I had the most LSD-esque night visions ever last night. This rather Ursulaesque woman who almost ran me over in her electric scooter countless times in the grocery store yesterday, suddenly was front and center on a huge stage in my church in my dream. (She's the reason I forgot the herring!) She was a hootn’ and a hollern’ like it was a Baptist revival. I reached for my missalette only to find that it was written in Spanish. The church was packed and all sorts of crazy was going on. Like I was seated next to my college roomie and her test tube baby. Yep, she corked the tube and it was lodged between us in the pew. We approached the altar to receive communion which was a gigantic, terribly tasting piece of mushy pound cake that we had to finish before we could leave, and I just wanted to get out of there pronto. Suddenly, I felt like I was playing the food challenge in Survivor, and I never aspire to ever play that game. All of these people were looking at me like zombies with dark, disapproving eyes including my very own friend. Every door I opened was blocked by a cold, grey wall of cement. I don’t think I even want to know what this one means. Now if only I had this dream tonight instead of last night I could blame it on the herring and resign myself to a life lacking luck vowing never to again to take a fishy bite!

I haven’t conducted my P.I. (personal inventory) yet for 2009. I didn’t even do one last year. I think that it makes more sense to spend the month of January reflecting and purging since December is consumed with rejoicing and binging. I skipped resolutions last year too, but I may just hold myself to a few this year for good measure.

No comments: