Friday, December 18, 2009

Grateful Friday



Today I'm Grateful For...
Family time spent playing games this week. T. Bone and Miss Bit almost (ALMOST) made it through a whole game of Jenga without any that's not fairs or I don't want to play anymores. We all played Sorry lastnight. The game lasted so long...that I was almost (ALMOST) sorry I suggested it.
The little tradition we have of reading Christmas stories before bed during the month of December. T. Bone usually retires to his room to read Wimpy Kids or Sports Illustrated Kids or the like by himself, but this month he is often snuggling in beside us listening to me read (and enjoying it too). And what's not to enjoy? There are so many Christmas classics!
I found my Mom's spinach stuffed tomato recipe this morning. I wasn't sure that it was even recorded and had started to talk myself into believing that we didn't really need them on Christmas Eve. The extra bonus is that it's written on a piece of scratch paper in her very own handwriting.
T. Bone is star of the week this week. We gathered various pictures for display on the classroom bulletin board. He took the one year old photograph taken of him in a teddy bear costume and is not even bothered that all the girls have been calling him teddy bear all week.
An impromptu gathering with my in-laws for soup and Sunday afternoon football last weekend. It was nice to share the delicious leftovers from Saturday night's soiree with them and Jess, and to visit during this frenetic time of year. Oh...and our team won!
T. Bone and Miss Bit will be participating in the children's mass at church on Christmas Eve. He will stand in as a shepherd and she will be in the choir of angels. I always adore this service, but this year it will be even more meaningful.
The time to help Miss Bit and her classmates with their gingerbread houses this week. Not one of them looked like another...each one had it's own unique design. A couple children quizzed me to find the one they had made. I was right each time...every house was like an abstract self portrait. So cool. Peanut decided that not only does Miss Bit's house look cute and colorful, but it also tastes good!
My shopping is done and I really feel so good about each and every gift we are giving. I just love it when that happens!
Last Saturday's gathering...it didn't last long enough, but it was so good to see everyone. So, so good.
Tomorrow we are having breakfast with Santa with our very good friends. It's a new tradition we started with these old friends of our's...and you know how I love me my traditions. It was so festive last year...a pianist played Christmas carols while we ate in the beautifully decorated room. We had plenty of time with Mr. and Mrs. Claus all to ourselves for the sharing of wish lists and the taking of pictures. Miss Bit told Aunt Jess the other night that she is just so excited, not to see Santa Claus, but to eat breakfast with her best friend B! Have I ever told you how much my girl loves bacon...I mean a hot breakfast?
T. Bone told me that he met his friend, J.'s, Dad who was here visiting from TN this week. He came to say goodbye to his son before heading home to the south, and J. nonchallantly waved...he kind of blew his Dad off and ran off to play with his friends. T. Bone got all choked up as he told me this. He felt so badly for J.'s Dad. I loved the way that he could sense how the Dad was feeling, and I used it as an opportunity to talk to him about why J. might have done what he had done. We talked about how sometimes when we are sad and afraid to show our emotions, we act like we don't care. He understood that J. was probably really hurting because his Dad was leaving to go far away for a long time.
Our Nanny ornaments have been purchased. Every year my Mom gave the kids a Li Bien ornament for the tree. I am keeping up with this tradition. I bought my brother and I each the angel ornament last year in memory of our mother and angel in heaven. This year's angel is already hanging on my tree and wrapped beneath it for my brother.
So many movies to see. I love this time of year because the best movies are released. Then of course there are the Christmas classics like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Elf and The Polar Express just to name a few.
Christmas cookies. I have already made about 10 batches and have plans to do more baking right up until Christmas. I like to put together tins to share with everyone from the mailman to the kid's teachers to friends and family.
Party at Jess's tomorrow night. I am looking forward to the gathering and happy that she is excited to have company. Now we can drink the Montepulciano.

No comments: