Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Spirit



Miss Bit and Mr. Claus - Christmas 2008

Mother and Son - Christmas 2008

I woke up a little while ago to the sound of dueling snow blowers. Apparently, we won't just be dreaming of a white Christmas anymore in this neck of the woods. The trees all look like they've been flocked and the bright red cardinals appear to be jewel-toned ornaments as they rest on the pine boughs. It's a scene from a Christmas card...I kid you not.

And speaking of Christmas cards...I started working on mine yesterday. Yes...that would be December 23rd. So most people on my list will be getting a New Year's card this year.

Yesterday was also wrapping day. Hubby did most of the wrapping while I packaged things up, wrote out the gift tags and kept him moving along. It is my least favorite job of the season. As I sized up the pile of presents, I determined that I still need to buy a few things so I will be heading out today to make a couple last minute purchases. That reminds me of my Dad. On Christmas morning we would always have to stop at Walgreens so he could buy a present for his Dad usually soap on a rope and/or a bottle of Brandy. Gramps enjoyed them both. I prefer to be more prepared, but what can I say?

My table is prepared. My Mom would be proud. I set it lastnight. Sometimes her Christmas table was set the day after Thanksgiving! I thought of her as I tied festive ribbons on the napkins and the crytsal. They were her ribbons and it was her signature touch. I haven't really even allowed myself to dwell on how very profoundly I miss her because it simply hurts too much. I'm afraid if I go there...I may not come back. I choked back tears as I wrote "From Nanny" on the kid's Li Bien ornaments yesterday. I want them to know who started the tradition that I am simply carrying on.

So after all the running around shopping, cooking and cleaning today, we will be treated to a Christmas concert at church. I'm bringing my Kleenex. T. Bone and Miss Bit will take part in the Children's Mass. He as a shepherd and she as an angel. I am very much looking forward to Christmas Eve Mass today. I'm hoping that celebrating the birth of Jesus shores me up for the rest of the festivities that carry on well into the weekend culminating in the celebration of T. Bone's birth 9 years ago Sunday.

Santa usually stops by on Christmas Eve to bring an early gift, but not this year. Hubby and I decided to end that tradition fearing that all these Santa sightings might raise too many questions in our alomost 9 year old's mind. Someone else will be missing tonight too, but I am focusing on the fact that both Santa and Nanny will be ever present in spirit!

No comments: