Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Random

At some point in the middle of the night, the snow turned to rain. That made for a couple inches of back breaking slop according to hubby who was only mildly disappointed that he had to break out the old shovel instead of breaking in the new snow blower. It wasn't enough to warrant the snow day the kids were coveting, but they are already of the mindset...there's always tomorrow. You see, it's snowing again and we may get another 3 to 5 inches.

I tried hard not to let on that I was relieved there was school today because I have 101 things to do to get ready for Christmas and a little party we are hosting Saturday. I'm really excited for the Soup and Sip. I stocked up on the wine and other libations yesterday, and now I have to make some soups and bake some cookies. It will be the perfect day to crank the Christmas tunes and watch the snow falling from inside my house. It really is beautiful. I suppose I'll hold off on cleaning the house though as T. Bone has not 1, but 3 friends coming over after school to play snow ball. That surely will last only long enough to get them drenched and covered in droves of dingle berries that I will find everywhere.

Fast Freddy is still earning his keep: keeping the kids in line and providing not only excitement, but also comic relief. Last night T. Bone came upstairs to ask me if it was OK to use the bathroom downstairs. I was puzzled. He doesn't need permission to use the bathroom and he passed 2 on his way to get it. He said sort of clandestinely, "Well, you know Freddy is in there!" Priceless! He was worried about stinking out the elf. I reassured him that Freddy had chosen to hole up in the half bath, but that didn't mean we couldn't use it and off he went. I honestly think I'm having more fun stretching the limits of his imagination than Miss Bit's.

She was delighted when she came home from school and saw that I added even more beautiful treasures to her tree. Yes, it is HER tree, but I know what she likes so enough already. Lil Bit was particularly plussed about the white furry garland I wrapped around the branches. I would never have considered buying pink and purple ornaments before, and now I am literally drawn to them. I think we're...I mean she's...going to need a bigger tree!

We are nearing the end of this session of swimming lessons and we already know that she is moving on up. She is going to be grandfathered into the next tier which one must normally be 6 or older to enter. She is real modest about this let me tell you. Last night in the locker room, in the shower, in her swimsuit (about nudity she is a bit modest), she was carrying on into her bottle of Johnson's No More Tears like this, "Oh yeah...oh yeah...oh yeah...I'm like going from level to level to level cuz' I'm such a good swimmer...oh yeah...oh yeah...oh YEAH!" It's true that she has passed through 2 levels this fall, but I blamed her prowess in the pool on the fact that her grandparents have one, and I blamed her poor sportsmanship on the fact that she has a brother who excels at all sports so she's finally so happy to be good at something. I think they bought it cuz' the other moms were still talking to me, and the other girls were gloating about what they were good at.

No comments: