Monday, December 21, 2009

Last Weekend Before Christmas

We drove North early Saturday morning for about an hour to a quaint "little" resort for a few eggs and some hashbrowns with Mr. Claus. It is well worth the drive...just look at this Santa - he has to be real! He is THE quintessential Santa Claus, and what I love best is that he always listens intently to the little boys and the wee girls and then says, "Now remember - Santa only brings what Santa thinks you should have!" It is absolutely brilliant that he gives parents an out. The delusion I had that this was indeed Santa, lasted only until my hubby spotted him leaving the premises in his black, leather Harley jacket. Wow - all I can say is that I am so glad I didn't see that with my own two eyes, and I'm even more grateful none of the kids saw it!

The absolute best Santa moment was when our 4 year old friend C. hoisted himself on Santa's lap and stayed put while he pointed out almost everything in the SUPER Toys R' Us ad that he had circled. He never said a word...he simply pointed! I don't think Santa said much either...he merely nodded.

Miss Bit was rather shy and quiet and T. Bone sort of leaned on Mr. Claus as opposed to actually taking a seat on his lap. I'm happy that their lists haven't changed since they wrote their letters to Santa.


Then Sunday we undertook the serious task of making cookies for Mr. Claus. It's always so much sugary fun for us all (yes, cats included)! We use the same cookie cutters that I used when I was a kid, and of course, I love that nostalgic fact. T. Bone and Miss Bit could very well be me and my brother a couple decades ago. Suffice it to say that not one single cookie escaped being iced or sprinkled, frosted or candied, and a few even had to be sacrificed during the messy, merry mission.
I'm finally done baking. I've made close to 20 batches of cookies. They will all be packed in tins or placed on plates to take to teachers, mailmen, and bus drivers, friends and family too. They are made with love and must be shared.

No comments: