Monday, December 14, 2009

All Dressed Up With Some Place to Go





Saturday we got dolled up (Miss Bit chose the sparkly number tucked in the recesses of her closet over either of the more traditional dresses that got my vote...obviously she won), went out for lunch with the ladies and then to see The Nutcracker. It was festive fun.
My girl's eyes lit up when the music started and the curtain went up. She sat with rapt attention and a smile on her face for most of the 100 minute show oohing and ahhing over the ornate costumes, the impressive pirouhettes, the toys come to life. She was also shhhing other children whose commentary and incessant questioning she found loudly disruptive.
I worried that she was too young. I first saw The Nutcracker when I was 13. My Mom dressed me and my brother up to the nines. I can still see him handsome in his navy blue pinstripe suit a mini version of my Dad. My Dad picked us up and we went to the performance as one happy family despite the fact that my parents had been divorced for almost a decade already and often couldn't even handle pick ups and drop offs without arguing. Christmas does bring out the best in us...it fills us with plenty of peace and lots of love...it's unfortunate the sweet surplus doesn't last throughout the year.
After the performance, the girls danced hand and hand and twirled all the way to the car feeling every bit as beautiful and light as the ballerinas on stage. (And they were! They are!)

No comments: