Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tuesdays Unwrapped: Friends

A true friend is:

  • Someone who calls often and can tell by the way you answer the phone whether or not you can talk at that precise time
  • Not slighted if you cannot chat, and that doesn't stop her from calling later when you forget to return the call
  • Always available to listen and to really hear you
  • Known to say often, "How can I help you?" or "I'm sorry this is happening" or "What can I do?"
  • Also likely to just do whatever she thinks you need before you have to ask like take the day off work to take care of your children who are off of school again or arrive the night before a party to help you set-up or arrive with a vase of orchids the bluest shade of blue to cheer you up
  • Someone who is the sister you never had and another doting aunt to your children who she loves like her own
  • The person that you trust with your wildest dreams and scariest fears
  • Good at making you feel understood
  • There for you always to celebrate happy milestones, to mourn in times of sadness and to shore you up when the load is too heavy
  • The kind of person that makes you want to be a better friend...a better person
  • Someone you can laugh until you cry with or cry until you laugh with
  • Honest, kind, and fair
  • Someone you always have fun with whether you are on the patio watching the kids play in the yard, on the beach with your books or belting out Billy Joel in a piano bar
  • The giver of thoughtful advice
  • Not a score keeper
  • The kind of person who loves you flaws and all
  • Someone you can be yourself around always
  • The guest who stops for a glass of wine after work and ends up spending the night
  • The frister who takes the afternoon off to take a hike with you on your Mom's heaven day beacause she doesn't want you to be alone

The truth is a good true friend is all of these things and so much more. I was completely at a loss for words this morning because what is there to say really...two years ago today I said goodbye to my first best friend, my Mom. She always said that good friends were hard to come by, but that you didn't need many. She was proud of the fact that she could count her good friends...her fristers...on one hand. Although she knew what seemed like everyone and everyone knew her, she had a very special place for a lucky close few. This morning I checked in at chatting at the sky as I usually do on Tuesdays and was not surprised to see that today's topic is the gift of friendship. I'll take that as a sign, thank you. Jess will be here soon, and I am beyond thankful to her for spending the afternoon with me and also for my Mom who taught me what treasures good friends are. Today I'm at Tuesdays Unwrapped and with my frister, Jess.

No comments: