Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sundays Are For Lovers

I saw this today and was inspired to capture my day.

My home base is the Midwest near the shores of a great lake and on the banks of a lazy river. It's where I was born and bred, where I've almost always lived and more than likely where I'll die.

Day to day I work in many roles including chef, laundress, maid, personal shopper, chauffeur, cheerleader, nurse, referee, editor and then some days I go to work at a job where I am paid in currency other than gratitude and grins so, of course, it is nowhere near as rewarding.

If I didn't do this I would or a least I used to think I would be an elementary school teacher, but then I went back to school to get my license only to never finish my final four credits. Now I dream about owning an inviting little book store or a quaint neighborhood bakery, or both. And it's always been my heart's hope and wildest dream to write a novel.

Next year I will travel to a house on a lake. Perhaps, Lake Winnipesaukee in beautiful New Hampshire. We'll likely take jaunts to Chicago, the Michigan coast and also Door County. This was a year of going places...wonderful places like the mountains of Colorado, the beaches of Bermuda, the shores of Cape Cod and the attractions of Disney World...so we'll be staying closer to home unless we find some treasures.

To me Sunday means church, breakfast out alone with my husband while the kids are at Sunday School, getting ready for the week ahead, relaxing, reading, boys watching and playing football, play dates for my girl, family dinners, cozying up to catch The Amazing Race, getting a good night's sleep.

And I like to eat an egg sandwich, bagel or scone with my coffee in the morning and something comforting and home cooked for dinner. This time of year that may be a pot of soup, a pasta dish, a roast. Quite often my brother and sil join us to welcome a new week together.

And I will get out of bed with just enough time to get dressed and ready for early church. I usually forgo a shower so I can sneak a few extra minutes of slumber. It's a struggle to resist the urge to stay in bed, but it's worth it to take care of our obligations and still have the better part of the day to do as we so choose.

And I will get dressed by 8:30, but I'm back in my yoga pants and a fleecy pullover before noon.

And I will smile about mine and Miss Bit's twin denim skirts... and the way my girl sports a scarf... and the homily during mass... and my pumpkin spice latte... and Miss Bit forgetting the name of God's son... and the eccentric mother character in The Lacuna as I steal away for a few pages... and my cats taking a sun bath on the dining room floor... and T. Bone taking a break from watching the football game to go out in the yard and run a few plays with his band of boys... and Miss Bit and her friends staging a silly band swap... and the neighbors bringing us a bag of apples from their orchard visit... and singing along to Trains in the Distance after being inspired to play the cd by yesterday's post...and the glorious sun on my face as I watch T. Bone's baseball game... and chatting with old friends... and making new acquaintances... and cocktails and conversation with my brother and sil... and a warm family dinner... and a hot shower before bed...and clean sheets.

And I may just daydream about this question I came across in a pile of old magazines I was leafing through: What do you really know?

And when Monday comes I'll wake up wishing it was still Sunday.

2 comments:

amanda {the habit of being} said...

your sundays sound perfectly lovely! i love the dream of opening a bookstore/bakery - i think the two work together beautifully :)

Kristin said...

I love Sundays and this exercise made me realize what a gift they are.