Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Anatomy of a Day

I woke up before 7:00 this morning rested and ready to start the day. I was able to enjoy a cup of coffee and the last few pages of the chapter that put me to sleep last night before the rest of the house woke up. Miss Bit takes longer to stir so I went in to rouse her first. As I approached her bed, she surprised me with a sweet and cheerful "Boo." Not only was she awake...she was also eager to get up and out of bed. She was itchin' to get dressed. I knew the brand new outfit decked out in glittery symbols from her favorite new store was what was really responsible for my girl's extra sunny demeanor on this overcast morning. Tigger woke up T. Bone who appeared at breakfast in his preppy blue plaid shorts proudly paired with a black and green grunge skater shirt. I complimented his style and strongly resisted the urge to tell him it didn't match. Shirts that look like they've been puked on with peace signs and mismatched clothes couldn't put a wrinkle in this morning.

Despite the fact that we were ready 15 minutes early, we still managed to be 2 minutes late for school's 8:40 start. That ended up working out just fine since I had to be in attendance for 4th grade orientation starting at 8:50. T. Bone acted like I was invisible when he passed me in the hallway. He was the line leader as the 4th graders walked to art. Every classmate after him smiled, waved or somehow greeted his or her parent(s). I sat down at my son's tidy desk and promptly spilled my steaming hot tea all over it. All eyes were on me so it was clear that no, I was not invisible after all. Still I left the meeting feeling like we'd won the lottery with Mrs. J. She's a seasoned teacher who really knows and loves her stuff. After several years of newbie know it alls, it's a welcome and much needed change. There was no way I was going to cry over being snubbed by my son or spilled tea today.

I stopped off at the mall to pick up a couple gifts, stopped off at home for a quick lunch and then headed out for a hike at the Audubon. It was such a beautiful day that I couldn't resist even as I knew there were other things I should really be attending to. I made it as far as Mystery Lake before I took out my camera for a picture. It wouldn't turn on. It didn't take me long to realize that my battery was in the charger at home. The disappointment only lasted for a minute and I went on my long way. I really was the only hiker at the preserve this afternoon, and that always puts a spring in my steps. It had only been a couple days since my last visit yet the late summer trees were already more yellow than green. Dried, fallen leaves littered the paths and trails so the animals had loud advance warning of my approach. I'm sure that's why I only saw a couple deer's tails as they scurried deeper into the woods to avoid me. Today I could count the monarchs I saw on one hand. Even the fast approaching change of seasons and my inability to capture it with my camera could not derail me this afternoon.

There was time for chores and a shower before I had to pick up the kids and get Miss Bit to her Daisy meeting. When we walked in, my girl was received like a celebrity. All of her old friends at her old school, were happy to see her. When moms started arriving, I was sensitive to the fact that my greeting was not anywhere near as welcoming, and more along the lines of a chilly, "What are you doing here?" I refused to catch their cold, condemning cattiness.

Dinner was delicious if I don't say so myself. I made a tasty, super easy chicken Marsala with sauteed zucchini and baked capellini that was the perfect combination of crunchiness and creaminess. It was T. Bone and Miss Bit's first zucchini experience. She claimed to love them despite the fact that she only ate one and instead gobbled up her spinach and red pepper. His single slice of squash ended up in his napkin after some serious gagging. After we prayed, chatted and enjoyed the meal the kids finished their homework. He proudly published his first writing assignment of the school year, and she tallied until her heart's content. There was no way a messy kitchen or the realization that they pretty much skipped the 6 Traits the last few years of my son's education was going to weigh heavily on me even as I think it's rather obvious the value I put on the written word and cleanliness.

We all got into our cozies and met back in the family room for the season premier of Survivor, and we all cheered on the "old" tribe. Before bed, we snuggled (cats included) in our bed to hear the last chapter of the not so riveting Jake Drake, Miss Bit's book club selection this month. Not even the realization that I would be on the "old" team by more than a decade could make me pause tonight.

After we tucked T. Bone and Miss Bit in, I called my Dad. I usually call on Thursdays. He started off telling me about his "killer" meatloaf, and I followed by boasting about my "company worthy" Marsala. Then he got quiet and said, "There's something you should know." I already knew what he was going to say and yet my heart skipped a few beats. My step-mother lost her job in the insurance industry the day before thanks to the state of our economy and the turn of events in the health care industry. Those of you who know me will certainly know that I am exercising great restraint here. And that folks...yes, that was enough to take me from a high yo to a very, very low yo.

I'm going to go lose my thoughts in my book now. I'm almost finally finished with The Book Thief. If you haven't read it...it's a sure way to drown your sorrows. I feel like Leisel narrowly escaping air raids. Eventually the bombs fall on Molching. No one's safe, sheltered or immune.

No comments: