Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Walk in the Woods, Through the Fields, Along the Shore







The trees are still green -
though not for long.

The south westerly wind whips warm today,
but random wisps remind me of last night's chill.
When it blows along the wooded trails, the aging oaks let go of some of their acorns.
Dappled sunshine sneaks onto the forest floor through the thick foliage overhead in whimsical patterns: nature's beautiful stained glass.

A sea of sun-kissed golden rods dance with the mosaic winged monarchs out in mass.
There are so many, I lose count -
Soon they'll be travelling south for the winter.
Dragon flies as big as hummingbirds swoop through the air feasting in mid frenzied flight.
The wind rushes through the prairie grass creating rhythmic music-
When I close my eyes, I swear I'm seaside listening to the tide roll in and back out over and over again.

I feel the ebb of summer flowing towards fall with each one of my heightened senses.

The mossy backed turtles soak up the end of season rays as they drift deliriously on rotting logs.
My every step around Boardwalk Pond is met with a meep, splash -
The toads don't trust my stride so they sound off and then sink beneath the sooty silt.
I scan the murky, pollen-filled water only to find my gaze met by hundreds of little, bulging eyes.
It wasn't that long ago that they were tadpoles.

A lone snake slithers by disappearing into the thick brush leaving me startled.
Three plump turkeys cross the path in front of me and I think how lucky they are to live protected on this preserve.
The Grassland Loop is a labyrinth and I am the Minotaur.
I'm not the only creature exploring the maze:
I spy a doe eyed deer bedding down on the edge of Bird Blind Pond.
Her molten, milk chocolate eyes reveal her surprise at being spotted-
But she's not fearful enough to flee.
This is, after all, her domain.

As I circle the Woodland Loop, I'm aware of the mounting decomposition.
The air is tinged with a rancid over ripeness -
It wreaks of damp mold and dusky decay.
The path is littered with lost downy feathers and thick rolling moss.
Hollowed out tree stumps become critter shelters -
It is time for nesting.
The wind howls and the fragile overhead branches creek and moan despite their fortitude.
A red tailed hawk launches from the canopy above in search of lunch -
Soon her catches will be harder to come by.

Along the lake, gulls squawk in alarm as I approach them on the beach devouring what's left of a repulsive fish carcass.
The wind off the water makes the hairs on my arms stand on end even as the mid-day sun warms my face.
I breathe in deeply and exhale slowly -
So thankful for this glorious late summer day, ever thankful to be a vibrant part of this miraculous circle of life.

(Also thankful to be participating in Tuesday's Unwrapped today.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel like I was with you on your walk. Wish I was. Thank you for sharing your gift.