Wednesday, January 9, 2013

March in January


The sun is out melting what's left of the ice and snow and calling out all critters.  The birds are singing like spring is on the horizon and the squirrels are gorging and playing at once.  Yesterday I was uncomfortably overdressed for my midday walk.  I was geared up for mild winter.  It was in the 40s and more like spring.  The weather, which most people are rejoicing in, is incongruous with my mood. I'm in a snowbound, freeze snap state of mind.  I want to hunker down, check out, brood and nest.  The call to slow down is what I so love about January after a busy holiday season and frenetic end of year. I'm rebelling against Mother Nature or this documented climatic phenomenon dubbed the January thaw.  I don't do well with change and certainly not quick change.  Defrosting takes time.  I don't soften or melt easily.  I know that to alleviate the numbness too quickly is to do more damage.  It is cause for even more discomfort and malaise.

That's why I am taking the time I need.  It's why I am listening to the quiet urges of my mind and the gentle cravings of my soul.  I read this book most of the morning yesterday without a pang of guilt.  I felt no disgrace in curling up on the couch for a late morning nap that lasted longer than I intended. I was grateful I still had time to get in a walk before picking up the kids.  It was my first time out in at least two weeks. I knew it would elevate my mood...I just didn't know to what degree. Late afternoon while the kids decompressed, I baked a cake and then I started another book before starting dinner.  The pizza chicken with a side of sauteed spinach got everyone's thumbs up.  At the end of the day, I can say it was a good one even if it did feel more like spring than winter.


No comments: