Saturday, August 11, 2012

Hope in Hummingbirds

I came across this while researching animal totems this week:

It is not commonly known that the fluttering wings of the hummingbird move in the pattern of an infinity symbol - further solidifying their symbolism of eternity, continuity, and infinity.
By observing the Hummingbird, we see they are seemingly tireless. Always actively seeking the sweetest nectar, they remind us to forever seek out the good in life and the beauty in each day.
Amazing migrators, some Hummingbirds are known to wing their way as far as 2000 miles to reach their destination. This quality reminds us to be persistent in the pursuit of our dreams, and adopt the tenacity of the Hummingbird in our lives.

The Hummingbird animal totem is a messenger of hope and jubilation.
Hummingbird Animal Totems offer attributes like:
  • energy
  • vitality
  • joy
  • renewal
  • sincerity
  • healing
  • persistence
  • peace
  • infinity
  • agility
  • playfulness
  • loyalty
  • affection 

A hummingbird has been hanging around our yard.  More specifically coming to visit the streptocarpella I hang every spring in memory of my Mom.  I haven't been able to get a picture of her.  She's fast and shy.  But her presence made me think back to last summer when this picture was taken.  It was our first family lake vacation without my Mom.  I was really feeling her absence anew.  Every morning I would take my coffee, computer and books to the screened in porch to refuel, read and write.  Every morning I would hear the mesmerizing whir of the hummingbird's wings as she hovered and honed in on the sweet nectar.  It makes me think that my Mom wasn't absent at all.  The soul is eternal.  There is continuity between life and death.  Love is limitless and infinite.  How can I witness the hummingbird's flight and not be filled with hope?

No comments: