Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Eventide

I just got out of bed and only because the phone rang.  Back to school next week Tuesday is going to be just as painful for me as the kids.  Later nights and lazy mornings have become the cadence of our days.  It's going to take mettle and resolve to rev things up again.

The summer has been better than I expected in many respects, but also beneath my premises on a few. We tried something new with regard to our minimal childcare needs, and it looks like next summer will bring yet more changes.  The only real regret I have is that we didn't take a vacation.  I'm attributing feeling off last week to the fact that I should have been lakeside for the duration.  We seem to always go north the same week of the year, and I truly missed our annual migration.  Never underestimate seasonal pulls.  We will be going south soon so long as Isaac doesn't stay his course or leave too much destruction in his expected wake.

Last night's impromptu evening at the beach club left me feeling ready to relax shoreside so soon.  Our great lake is so much a part of why I love living here even though I admit I don't enjoy her as much as I can and should.  The water is unusually warm and crystal clean this summer, which is like a 100 year occurrence.  I lamented not bringing my bathing suit as soon as I dipped my feet in.  We arrived just at the gloaming so I hurried to capture a few images of the kids in the pale purple light of the last of day.  It's my favorite few minutes between end of day and beginning of night when I feel something deep stir somewhere deep within me.  The stars started to shine signaling they day's subtle expiration.  I didn't mind it at all that I had to stay behind beneath their twinkling and watch my little fish and her friend who wisely chose more swimming over pizza while the rest of the group retreated to the beach house.  The beach by night is alive in so many different respects.  It's enchanting in a way you can only experience.  I sat with my feet dug into the cool sand suspended between the giggles of little girls before me and the rise and fall of  many adult conversations behind me.  Over the chatter, I heard a familiar voice clear as a bell: Aye, and I should complain it said.  He said.  I smiled.  I smiled with my heart.

I came with a tray of gooey good s'mores cookies.  I left with an empty platter and a full heart.  I brought with me a feeling of peace and a sliver of understanding....a pulse on what is right in this world.  The night reminded me to continue showing up.  Showing up for the party, each day, this life.  To plug in and be present.  After all, it was my promise for 2012.  To live one's intentions is a glorious gift.
      









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm new here. I love this post and also moments where you know what matters in the grand scheme of things. I'll be back. Anna


Kristin said...

Glad to gave you Anna. Do you have a blog I can visit?