Friday, August 17, 2012

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

The end of the week.  It didn't exactly go as planned.  I had high hopes for our staycation.  Looking back I can say that it was a difficult week filled with many weak moments and trials, but also a good one.  The kids kept plenty busy with friends, and I had the time off I needed to rest and recover.

Healing skin.  My rashy condition is clearing up.

I actually forced myself to tell my kids that there are only 2 1/2 weeks left until school starts.  I've been in serious denial right along with them.  Miss Bit received a call informing us that her school supplies were ready to be picked up.  She adamantly accused the caller of being her Dad.  Her trickster Dad playing a nasty prank on her.  How could it be that we would be really thinking about spirals and #2s!?  I get it.

And fall is in the air.  It's been dipping down to the 60s at night.  Mornings are cooler...crisper.  Football practice has replaced baseball.  I took Miss Bit on a back to school spree this week because although it doesn't seem possible, pants weather will return before we want it to.  I now admit that it's time to empty out T. Bone's backpack still overflowing with his locker contents from the last day of school to see what can be salvaged...what needs to be replaced.

I picked up T. Bone's registration materials the other day.  I've been putting it off not wanting to step foot in the school.  We know little of his schedule at this point except for the fact that he is in honors math again this year.

T. Bone was recruited by an area select baseball team.  Without a seconds hesitation, he affirmed that he would not be interested were it to interfere with the Mets.  He understands commitment and loyalty. These are character traits that will benefit him much more and far longer than always being on the winning team.

Epiphanies.  This week there was a mutiny on the Mets.  It came as a bit of a surprise, but after much discussion and reflection, Coach and I feel positively about the moving on of the assistant coach and his son.  Morale is just as important as performance. 
I finished listening to Gatsby this week and started The Other Boleyn Girl.  How did I never read this book?  I was hooked after the first chapter.

Last night I received such a wonderful compliment with regard to my girl.  Her friend's Mom gushed about what a kind person our Bit is and how she says the sweetest things.  She told me that Miss Bit has touched the family in a special way and they all love having her around.

Lots of crafts this week.  The kitchen table is covered in project after project.  Miss Bit and I designed Barbie dresses, mosaiced tiles, played with Pixos and grooved on her much coveted Orbeez.  I love projects.  I mean I love working on projects side by side with my best girl.   

   
Miss Bit my frog whisperer.


T. Bone our Tigger tamer.


Kitchen helpers even if they only want to lick the spoons and spatulas.


Eager explorers.


Miss Bit gave me a hair do after I put her hair in many tiny braids the other night.  I used to love brushing my Mom's hair in the evenings and she used to really enjoy it too.  Like mother like daughter like daughter.


T. Bone spent the day hanging out with his cousin and Miss Bit went to lunch and the museum with the sitter. Now he's at football and she's at her BFFs.

As soon as I hit publish, I'm closing my eyes and taking a nap.

No comments: