Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Little Salvation Story

I finally got a good stretch of sound, solid sleep last night for the first time since I acquired this mysterious rash almost a week ago.  I had my alarm set for 10:00,  but the phone started ringing at 9:00.  T. Bone and Miss Bit each received 3 phone calls from the same 2 friends in that hour, and I only managed to eke out 10 more minutes of sleep from the 60 before I finally gave up and got up.  Ready or not the day dawned.

Miss Bit dressed, marched back upstairs to make her bed after an ultimatum and inhaled her breakfast before leaving to play at her friend's.  She's still there many hours later.  The babysitter arrived to cat sit since  I took T. Bone to a friend's on my way to work.    We weren't yet a mile from home before I pulled over and had him inspect the front right tire, which was making a strange sound upon rotation.  He reported that it looked fine.  I got out to inspect said tire myself when I dropped him off.  He was right.  The tire appeared intact despite the sound.  The sound that all the sudden stopped and then the tire popped, and  I could feel, hear and see (warning light) that something was not right so I pulled over.  After the week I've had, I shouldn't have been the least bit surprised.  Surprised about the bad luck or my inability to exhibit strength instead of weakness with another curve ball.

I laughed.  I cursed.  I cried, and then I called my friend first at work and then on her cell.  I wanted my Mom in the moment.  Truthfully, I've been having many of those moments these days.  C. came to my rescue.  She knew I really needed rescuing and she came through in a big way.  She's good like that...always.  So while we waited for AAA (thanks to her membership) to come change my tire, although she did offer to do it herself in her skirt and her stilettos, she sat shotgun while we commiserated and chatted.  I confessed to her that I really miss my Mom during times like these, but that the gift of a true good (and level headed) friend is the next best thing. And it is.  Believe me.  I know.

She saved my day, and by the end of it I know I'll be laughing about the mishap.  I'll also be thanking God for the wonderful friends I have who have my back.  Girls I can count on, and cry with until the tears give way to laughter.

I just know tomorrow is going to be a better day.  It must.





No comments: