Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Today's Thoughts

I just got the kids on the bus a little while ago. I found myself choking back the tears as I waved goodbye. Miss Bit's eyes were locked on me until I faded from view. I always wave twice and blow two kisses, and that's the comfort she needs to start her day. T. Bone heads to the back of the bus and is already too busy cracking jokes and telling tales to notice that I'm still there. I wonder if she will lovingly remember this routine? I wonder when she will grow up to be too independant and cool to catch kisses from her mama?

This little moment of my morning gets to the very heart of why it is I write. To preserve precious memories so they are right here in black and white when they...when I (heaven forbid)...no longer remember them so vividly. We all say a picture's worth a thousand words, but I'd take a hundred words over a picture any day. I just would.

They grow up so fast. I have that same fear as any other mother of them growing up too fast. Just this morning we left T. Bone in charge of the house and his still sleeping sister while we dropped the car off down the road for service. As we pulled back into the driveway 15 minutes later, my hubby questioned aloud what we were both asking ourselves quietly, "Do you think he's still in bed?" No. I figured that he would be up and on the computer, but he was up, head gear off, teeth brushed, hair combed and dressed, and then on the computer. That's my boy...that's our little man. I thought pretty soon he'll be the one jokeying cars with my hubby.

So I'm stranded today unless I decide to bundle up and walk to get the car. Truth be told...I rather like the idea of being shut in so I just may wait for my hubby to give me a ride. It's a beautiful thing - a day with nothing pressing to do.

No comments: