Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Productive Nonproductive Day

After I signed off here yesterday, I curled up under the cozy new afghan we got as a Christmas gift (so coveted in this house that hubby and I went out and bought the last 2 in the store last weekend). I turned on the last 15 minutes of Monday night's Bachelor. Yes, I fell asleep during the rose ceremony! Jake is growing on me, and all I can say is that I really hope some of his girly choices do too. I think he let some of the better, brighter ladies go, but was secretly pleased that he kept the psycho chic for my personal entertainment value.

After my tawdry TV fix, I finished all of my Christmas cards just in time. I heard the hum of the mail truck making its way up my street. I went bounding down the driveway without a single second to spare in my pjs to hand my mail to Mr. Wayne personally. He looked at the thick stack of red envelopes and just shook his head. He only thought he'd seen his last Christmas card. Luckily Mr. Wayne is very nice and he likes the sweet treats I ply him with from time to time. I cannot blame my delay on my lengthy Christmas letter because I don't participate in that bold braggary. Frankly, I'm shocked at how many people do. Do you not know that you are the butt of many jokes? That your boasting words get passed around the office for people who do not even know you to laugh at your arrogant expense? I received two letters this year with glaring typos and that really chawed me. Really, you don't even care enough about your family's 12 month blessed itinerary to proofread that which you expect everyone else to oooo and ahhh over?! People if you feel compelled to say more than "Merry Christmas," get out your pen and take the time to handwrite your note.

I think that task fueled my fire. I had an intense Cardio X workout. I gave it my all and was really beat at the end of the session. I pushed my limits without a doubt, and yet I could have done it again if that makes any sense?

It was time for a break. A lunch break. My hubby has been telling me how hungry this program makes you. I felt that yesterday. I tuned into an episode of Adoption Stories while I ate and before long I was sobbing into my bean burrito. That says a lot about where I am at in my life. I never used to miss a tearjerking episode of A Baby Story and now I don't even know when, or if, it's on. It's been a dream of mine to adopt a child, but I'm really feeling the blissfull chi of where we are as a family right now so I'm not sure it even makes sense. And truth be told, I cannot imagine bringing a new child into our family without my Mom by my side.

So I dried my tears and I started cleaning out the game cabinets in our house. There were games in there I didn't even know we had. We could play a different game every day in January and still not get to them all, and that my friends, is no exaggeration. I was then compelled to attack the many bookshelves in our house. I have a huge problem with getting rid of books. I was very proud that I was able to fill a huge shopping bag for charity and, yes AND, another for the school. It was a milestone event for me to let go of all of those titles. I love children's books as much as, if not more than, any others. There are many I will keep for my own library long after they are no longer read by my kids. I won't even have to rationalize that they are for my grandkids...no, they are for me. (But I do hope to have grandkids to enjoy them with someday.)

The rest of my evening consisted of putting the pesky decals on the Barbie cruise ship (it's surprisingly therapeutic), playing Barbie's, making dinner and then crashing on the couch. I'm off now for another productive nonproductive day, and that's just fine by me!

No comments: