Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Priorities

Same bus, same kiddos...different season.

We may have turned our backs on Favre...

But we're still cheeseheads at heart!!!!

I just got the kids on the bus. Writing that on a quiet Tuesday morning gives me a case of de ja vu. It's true that Tuesday mornings have fallen into a predictable pattern around here. In the frenzy that is the weekend, I scarcely find myself with the presence of mind to write, and Mondays, well they are just all about survival so come Tuesday I am in need of a little word therapy. Something is new about our send-off routine I might add. Now I blow my air kisses and wave frantically until the bus disappears up the road, but then I have to wait for Miss Theresa to turn that puppy around and come back down the block to pick up a new neighbor and classmate. I don't mind...there's really nothing else that is more important for me to be doing for those 3 short minutes than blowing another set of kisses to my girl. Priorities. And I am just so grateful that Theresa is concerned enough about safety that she doesn't make any of her charges cross in front of the bus. Every one of her subs comes from the wrong direction because it is more convenient.

I don't have much time here because I have to get my workout in before I am due at school. Priorities. I got roped into giving tours to new K4 parents and then I have my regular volunteer time in Miss Bit's classroom. After school I am meeting with T. Bone's teacher regarding enrichment activities for him. He's already concerned with how long that meeting will take and how much of his play time it will carve out this afternoon. Priorities.

Clearly he wasn't listening to the sermon Sunday. The visiting Jesuit priest spoke to the many important roles we all play in the course of our life and the precedence one may have over the others at any time of the given day. Basically it was the whole we don't live in a vacuum premise. I should cut him some slack because during the homily we were inundated with a chemically smokey smell, which did cause a stifled stir. Miss Bit was too busy talking fashion with her friend in the pew in front of us to hear or smell much. The sermon had quite an impact on me because as we were driving home we hit a gapers block...rather unusual for a Sunday. A car overturned and at least one passenger was ejected from the vehicle and laying on the side of the freeway. Emergency personnel had not yet arrived so Joe Blow was directing traffic and a woman pulled over presumably to help. I surmise she was a doctor or a nurse who had hung up her stethoscope for the weekend only to be called to change her priorities. Thankfully the median prevented us from seeing much, but sometimes it's what we don't see that haunts us at the end of the day. I drive that same stretch of the freeway several times a week and ignore the too fast for curve sign while making calls on my cell phone. I should say...ignored, made.

I'm already looking forward to next weekend and it's not even hump day yet. This weekend felt like it just went too fast. I think it feels like that when we are going in too many directions. Yet we started it with a family movie night Friday and ended it with family dinner on Sunday. Priorities. We gathered with my brother and sil-to-be to cheer the Saints on and took only a little pleasure in watching Favre lick his wounds. In between, there were play dates for adults and kids, lessons and games. All good stuff. T. Bone had his first snowboarding lesson Saturday, and he declared it "A-W-E-S-O-M-E!" Funny, he almost didn't make it because he left his snow pants in his friend's car and was melting down like a 3 year old. Funny, he didn't even have tantrums like that when he was 3. Funny, he could barely walk Sunday morning after working rarely used muscles. Funny, he was still the leading scorer on the basketball court Sunday afternoon, and we were there to cheer him on. Priorities.

No comments: