Thursday, January 28, 2010

Promises

Make new friends, but keep the old...
One is silver, the other is gold.
A circle is round, it has no end...

That's how long, I will be your friend.
A fire burns bright, it warms the heart...

We've been friends, from the very start.
You have one hand, I have the other...

Put them together, we have each other.
Silver is precious, Gold is too...

I am precious, and so are you.
You help me, and I'll help you...

And together we will see it through.
The sky is blue, the Earth is green...

I can help to keep it clean.
Across the land,

Across the sea...
Friends forever we will always be.

Last night was full of promise...the Girl Scout Promise, the promise of friendship, the promise of our youth and their budding friendships...beautiful futures. The 21 girls were proud and excited to be welcomed as Daisy Scouts, and also rather thrilled to run around the school after hours exploring, which explains the the rather rosy cheeked, cherubic faces in the pictures above. I really do have a place in my heart for each and every one of them, but especially my Bit. I admit, I was a tad verklempt as I attached her daisy pin above her heart. My Mom wasn't able to do that for me because she was working, and I'm just so blessedly thankful that our whole family was there for Miss Bit. (Ok...T. Bone was with his band of boys playing dueling DS's, but he was in the same room.)
I couldn't help, but remember my own short-lived stint as a Brownie. We met after school every other Wednesday at a neighborhood church. Of course, it wasn't my neighborhood because I rode the bus to a better school that was not in my neighborhood. My Mom knew it was a smart choice. My "memory" reminds me that I was "expelled" from the troop because I never paid my 10 cent dues. No doubt, my Mom placed them safely in my pocket every other week as she was a stickler for details, but Monifa manged to steal my dime every time. She was the class bully, and believe me when I say that she would still make me shiver today. Today I know that my paltry dues (or lack there of) weren't the reason that the Brownies and I parted ways. I still remember my leaders with kindness, and I know that they would have found a way to include me at all costs. And I hope that the 21 girls in my troop remember me the same way...with kindness and the knowledge that each and every one of them matters. I have a suspicion they do...many of them were waiting in my rather long line to get pinned last night.
It is my promise to them to always give them warmth, understanding and acceptance. Cross my heart until I die! Pinky swear promise!

No comments: