Saturday, March 2, 2013

This Week's Menu


This week my schedule is amok so I am trying to keep things simple.  Nothing fancy or fussy.

Tomorrow we've been invited for Sunday dinner by my BIL.  Rumor has it that he is grilling steaks and roasting potatoes.  I will bring wine and dessert.  I have two nice bottles of French wine ready to go and will soon be making strawberry shortcake cupcakes.

I will be roasting another chicken this week because they were on sale and they not only smell delicious baking away in the oven, but they taste good too.  I will serve it with pan fried fingerling potatoes and sauteed spinach.  The over 40 diners will be served like this: spinach topped with roasted potatoes topped with a poached egg topped with some special Parmesan.  It is delicious.  The young ones get the deconstructed version and believe it when I say that they don't know what they are missing by eliminating the egg.  I am so smitten with poached eggs that I would eat them on almost amything these days.

Denver Frittata is still on the menu.  This is the third week I am carrying it over.  Coach is really getting on my case about this one.  In the next 5 days, I must make it happen.  Fruit salad will serve as a pretty, tasty, healthy side.

Then I will either make Ina's Chicken Stew with homemade biscuits or pick up Subway.  That is an escape clause if ever there were such a thing.

Leftovers will likely be scarce for the Thursday night line-up so the kids will probably eat something processed or packaged.  They LOVE that.  I will make a much loved salad that has been on my mind lately.  All you need to know is that it involves some baby romaine, blue cheese, toasted almonds, pears, apples and dried cranberries all topped with a light vinaigrette and maybe some chicken if there is any left.

btw...Alice Water's The Art of Simple Food is a must read for anyone who likes to cook.  I  have read it from cover to cover and consider it a work of wisdom and love...wisdom with regrd to food and love for it.