Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Signs of Spring


The boys just spotted the first chippie of the soon to come season.  They chirp and yip at the little creature awake after a long, cold sleep.  The birds are out in force too.  Even the robins.  It seems as if overnight they have returned to form an avian orchestra.  It's still cold today, but bright and sunny.  It's the kind of late season day that hints of what is to come, and as usual I'm not really sure how I feel about that.  Not that my feelings on the matter have any affect on Mother Nature's whims or the earth's increasing tilt toward the sun.  It's just that the seasonal shift leaves me teetering and feeling a tad untethered.  My own axis is askew.

It's hard to believe that we are already three months into the year...a quarter lap complete of another revolution around the sun.  I look around my house and I have the plants to prove it: a poinsettia, a shamrock and a tulip.  It's like the opening line of a joke: Santa, St. Patrick and the Easter Bunny were at a bar and...


The blooms nothing but a metaphorical menagerie of what has passed...yes, already.  Gone.  Done.  My regret makes no sense because what is to come is beautiful and in many senses much anticipated.  It's just my nature to look back.  I'm a rehash-er, a rethink-er, a remember-er.  And try as I might to spend less time in review...it is simply what I do.  'Tis frankly who I am.