Thursday, December 30, 2010

Twas' The Night Before Christmas - Round I

We officially ushered in the Christmas weekend at church celebrating the birth of Jesus. It amazes me how touched and shored up I am by this service year after year. The 75 (yes, I counted them) Poinsettias were crimson red...the rich color of blood or cherries...and thick with velvety leaves. The manger was framed by a row of trees all asparkling with white lights - our own little breath of Bethlehem. The pews filled fast with parishioners packed in tight like sardines until there was standing room only while we waited for the procession to begin, and the church was filled with the most beautifully sung carols. T. Bone took part in the pageant this year as the lantern boy. It was his job to lead the rest of the participants into church for the blessing of the crib. Miss Bit's always an angel...wings, halo and all.








We took the long way home to my Brother and Sil's for Christmas Eve dinner so we could admire the lights along the way. They were ready and waiting for us, and the kids were done waiting and ready to open gifts. We let them. Miss Bit loved all of her gifts an awful lot...clothes, toys and everything in between. T. Bone was very stoked for his LeBron James jersey and his new basketball shoes, but that only lasted until he realized that he didn't receive a PS3 from his Uncle when he was beyond sure he was getting one. So sure that he refused to heed my subtle and even not so subtle warnings and instead said things like, "I know B. Bone is going to come through for me. He's good like that!" He had an uncharacteristic breakdown that I had to work real hard during just to keep my composure. The thing is that I got it...I was a kid with kaliedescope eyes once myself. I let him know that I understood. He let me know that he appreciated the understanding.
Our traditional night before Christmas dinner was sure not to disappoint. Everything was delicious...we enjoyed the company as much as the meal. As always, my Brother and Sil were host and hostess divine. Dessert was poker or chocolate mousse with creme de menthe cream. Everyone was blissfully happy...beyond blessed.









Shortly, after Twas' The Night Before Christmas, both T. Bone and Miss Bit were anxious to head home, leave treats for Santa and his crew and get to sleep so they could arrive. They were nestled all snug in their beds just after midnight and asleep within seconds for sweet Santa-filled dreams. I don't think I slept long enough to dream.

No comments: