Thursday, December 30, 2010

Nostalgia

I shouldn't have put mascara on this morning.
I so very rarely wear any eye make-up at all, but I had tired eyes.
Every night this week has been short on sleep, so then this morning I slept too long and there was, regrettably, no time for a shower.
I shouldn't have decided it was a good morning to listen to Watermark.
About halfway through the first song, the tears started to well up and almost over, and by the second song I had tear stained cheeks.
I shouldn't have stopped at Goodwill to drop off the final cast-offs of 2010.
As the filled to the brim box was moving along the conveyor belt almost out of sight, I caught a glimpse of one of T. Bone's lovies...his furry puppy blankie.
I resisted the urge to pluck him out and take him home because I have a feeling he'll find a good new home and some other little boy to love him.
I shouldn't have driven by the first family stead nestled on the banks of the river.
The trees were so sparse and bare that I could see into the yard I played in everyday of my childhood.
I could see my brother and I making forts in the snowbanks in our matching Albert the Alley Cat hats despite the fact that it's more like spring than winter this December 30th.
I could see the wee bunny hill of a driveway that once seemed like a mountain that we raced our Big Wheels down over and over day after day.
I could see the bus stop where I waited with my brother to be picked up safely every morning before making the way to my own stop.
I could see where the raspberry bushes will bloom again in spring and I wondered if there are children living in the old house that love them now as much as we did then.
I shouldn't have driven on down the boulevard... a path I've taken with my Mom and co-pilot so many a morning for so many years.
I shouldn't have, but I'm glad did.
I'm glad I did because making some peace with the bittersweet longing for the past frees the path to forge ahead.
I'm mindful of where I've been, rooted in where I am, and dreaming of where I'd like to go.

No comments: