Tuesday, December 28, 2010

it is still december...

I've been up since 4:00 so I finally decided to get out of bed and make use of the quiet of my house. It's pitch black outside right now, but I have already noticed that the days are getting longer. Unlike most people, I don't celebrate the winter solstice for its return to light. I love long nights. The darkness energizes me. Remember...I am a fan of winter and snow and cloudy days and thunder storms. I found myself watching the news yesterday and feeling rather envious of the snowed in East Coasters. Perhaps, it's enigmatic, but it's true. It amazes me the way time seems to simply stop when there's so much snow. I fantasize about a blizzard so big we cannot leave the house for a week.

I know people who have put away all the presents and taken down the tree. They've deChristmased. Not me. I'm still drinking my coffee out of merry mugs (and it tastes better you know), lighting up the house Griswold style, and feeling the lightness of the season. I'm savoring the delight and joy that only December brings, and not yet ready to be resolute. It saddened me when I turned the radio on yesterday and couldn't find any carols. I turned it off...silence was better.

I ask...if there is such a thing as Christmas spirit, how can it be here one day and gone the next? Shouldn't we celebrate the magic and wonder every day? Is it possible to carry the peace, love and goodwill throughout the year, or at least the month? Can the bright white hope and the red and green joy live in our hearts always?

I have 4 memory filled, festive gatherings to recount here, but today...right now as the sun rises and night turns into new day...I just want to sit alone with these thoughts.

No comments: