Tuesday, December 21, 2010

SNOW DAY




We woke up this morning to a world of white and it's still coming down. It's a wonder what a little snow can do for one's spirit. T. Bone and Miss Bit were downright cheerful upon waking. I suppose two days left of school until winter break doesn't dampen moods either.

I'm soaring myself. Today's a self-proclaimed snow day and I couldn't be happier to stay inside all day writing and baking and wrapping. I'm still in my jammies, and plan to keep it that way. (I am so one of those moms that takes the kids to school in pjs and slippers.) I'm enjoying my second cup of coffee in my silent house knowing soon I'll break out the carols. It's aglow here in white, twinkling lights and Frasier fir scented candles.

I want to freeze the moment to forever preserve these feelings of eager excitement and awed anticipation. I feel this way ever year. Equal parts nostalgia and melancholy wash over me as Christmas draws nearer for as long as I can remember. Even when I was a little girl I felt the sadness in the joy. Miss Bit is gliding around here beaming and resounding to anyone who will listen, "I CANNOT wait for Christmas! I'm just so excited!" The little annoying nay saying voice in my head wants to warn of wishing the finest moments of life away. I am all about the crescendo. It's what I know, but I sure don't wish it upon her. T. Bone is so ready to be done with 9 and welcome the big 10, and I'm simply in denial that soon my son will be into the double digits. I think to myself, "Slow down days, months, years - you are moving way too fast." It's the way I think, but I want him to always embrace change and challenge with carefree confidence.

This is the calm before the storm because in the next couple days celebrations commence and the whirlwind that is Christmas takes on a storied life of its own. It's all good stuff...the gatherings and gifts and good food and great memories. I love the communing and caroling and church going and chaos as much as any other, but what I cherish most about this magical, miraculous time of year is the peace that I feel right now today in my heart that reminds me that I believe. I believe in goodness. I believe in love. I believe in hope. I believe in Santa. I believe in faith. I believe in Him. He believes in me.

No comments: