Friday, June 26, 2015

Happy Birthday Friend!

Today my much younger, but just as wise friend is celebrating a milestone birthday.  All you need to know is that it ends in zero.  I'm beyond blessed to have Jessica in my life and I realize my luck several times a day. Everyone should have a friend as loyal and true and interesting as Jessica.  And she's smart and fun too!

When we met many years ago and she was just a teenager, I never could have imagined that she would become the sister I always wanted, another daughter to my mother, or an aunt to my children.  She is family in the best sense of the word.  To think how far we have traveled from sharing stories of MAC towel boys, horny owls and fly by the night friends to stories of the loves of our lives, our  hopes, dreams and darkest fears realized.

The thing is that the best moments are better when shared with friends, and the worst are bearable when you have a buoy.  We have championed and we have bolstered.  We have laughed and we have cried.  We've done our fair share of listening without judgement and in total confidence.  She's become a much better secret keeper with age I'll have you know.  We've also talked a blue streak.  In fact, we usually talk every day at least once about anything and everything.

She's my confidante, my memory (she never forgets a thing), and my voice of reason.  She's always quick to come to my rescue, join me for a spontaneous celebration or show up for a serious talk.  Our friendship is just easy...natural...real.  We don't keep score or keep secrets.  We don't hold back or hold grudges.  At the end of the day, we just want what is best for one another.

At the beginning of this new year, I am wishing Jessica a decade of the most beautiful, meaningful gifts: a happy heart, a healthy body and a peaceful spirit. No one is more deserving of ten years of treasures than Jessica.