Friday, June 5, 2015

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

Although we overslept this morning, no one went hungry or was late for work or school.

Hello Fresh.  I came home to find our order had been delivered yesterday. The produce was beautiful.  Last night I made BBQ Rubbed Pork Chops with Spicy Plum Relish and Cilantro-Lime Forbidden Rice, which is black rice. The meat and relish were delish, but the rice didn't excite us in appearance or taste.  Not to mention I failed to get all the sand out of the beautiful chard despite rinsing it twice. I've been in a bit of a rut in the kitchen so the timing was appreciated.  We also have a salmon and a chicken dish so the final verdict is yet to be delivered.



Our resident artiste'.  Her study of the pear is quite something special and her portrait of Robin Roberts is not only identifiable, but also impressive.



Hydrangeas.


Rainy spring days.


Yummy simplicity on a busy weeknight.


The attention to detail T. Bone showed in completing his storybook for Spanish.


A lovely celebration of our student of the quarter.  We had such a nice evening honoring Lily and spending quality time with all of her teachers.



This line I came across in Anne Lamott's Small Victories:  We think we're humans having spiritual experiences, but we're really spirits having human experiences.  Amen!

And these Hemmingway words that have been dancing around my brain this week:  The best people possess a feeling for beauty, the courage to take risks, the discipline to tell the truth, the capacity for sacrifice.  Ironically, their virtues make them vulnerable: they are often wounded.  Sometimes destroyed.

The first nectarines of the season.


Backyard boys.




I finished Addario's This is What I Do, and while I enjoyed it, I have to say her true gift is photography. Her writing lacked the same level of revelation and insight that her images offer.  She is made of grit though...tenacious and brave and perhaps, a tad bit mad.

A weekend with no plans except to work hard and play hard, and finish my book if Peanut let's me.