Saturday, February 13, 2010

Wedding Wonderland

I cannot really say that I have ever seen a church as beautiful as the Chapel at Beaver Creek. Actually, it's not the church that is so stunning, but rather the setting. At times it was hard to keep my eyes on the bride and she was absolutely beaming and naturally beautiful too.

Below you can see the view as you face the altar. Nature and spirituality are strongly linked as far as I'm concerned so I felt a heightened sense of reverence as I watched the snow fall on the mountains and trees outside. It wasn't lost on me that precipitation is good luck on your wedding day. It snowed all day and I was happy to remember that we had unseasonably early flurries for our October nuptials almost 15 years ago.


I got up to read this familiar passage from I Corinthians that is often chosen for just this occasion: If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that I can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.


It's the first time I've spoken in front of a congregation since I gave my Mother's eulogy, and I have to be honest that I was a little nervous. It seemed ridiculous because I wasn't nervous then and I had a lot more to say, but then I was speaking my own words.








We finished taking pictures just as people, mostly skiers, started arriving for mass. It was a sight...everyone bundled up coming in right off the mountains after their last run.


We made our way to the Timber Lodge which really appears to be perched on top of the world. It is remote, rustic, romantic.




This is Gavin. He is for real. A quintessential cowboy he was. He introduced us to Doc and Wyatt and we cozied up on his sleigh to take a wintry ride before twilight.





Tootsies had to be warmed after exposure to the elements so we were thankful for the fire pit.


As the sun went down, the candles that lined the windows of the lodge gave off plenty of light.

After the delicious dinner, we mingled, danced, sang and then lit the sparklers to give the newlyweds the proper send-off only they came back to the party. A couple after my own heart!

No comments: