Friday, February 12, 2010

One Week Ago

This picture of my cousin, the fun-loving bride-to-be, is the perfect reminder of where I was and what I was doing exactly one week ago. No, I wasn't dancing on the tables, but I was singing along with the dueling pianos and I spent my fair share of time on the dance floor. There were also plenty of laughs and libations in between.
My Mom would have loved to be there for K. They share the same spirit. She would have been belting out Piano Man, Going to the Chapel and Bennie and the Jets to name just a few with a Miller Lite in hand. I thought a lot about her that night...really she was on my mind all day long and I laughed out loud when I saw the sign for Murphy beds on the side of the highway as we headed out of Denver. I've never seen an advertisement for those space saving sleeping quarters...heck I've never even seen anyone really tuck their bed into the wall, but my Mom used to talk about the miracle Murphy bed that she slept in whenever she had sleepovers at Grandma Pearl's. It was one of those memories she shared countless times so the sign seemed like more than a crazy coincidence. Well, whatever it was it made me smile...it shored me up and it sent me on my way. Yes, something that simple and that silly.


Hubby and I made our way into the mountains singing along with the tunes on the radio as we ascended feeling invincible in our bright red Hummer. Hey...what can I say, they told us we could take any vehicle in the first row and it was in the first row!? It was a fun and safe ride for the snowy weekend that we thankfully didn't resist.

Before we knew it, we were at the Continental Divide. As soon as we emerged from the tunnel, my ears started popping and the snow was falling. It was beautiful and exciting to be making our way to our Mountain getaway... a little scary too with all the runaway truck ramps laden with fresh tracks.
We arrived with just enough time to change our clothes at the Little Lodge and catch the shuttle back to town for the delicious rehearsal dinner. We were having so much fun that we missed the shuttle home and had to hitch a ride with my pregnant cousin. Somehow we manged to cram 14 people into her Tahoe. It's a good thing it was a short ride.
We should have called it a night, but instead opted for a night cap first in our room and then in my brother's. Morning came way too soon.

No comments: