Monday, February 22, 2010

Too Good To Forget Tonight

When I walked in from picking up Miss Bit's girl scout cookies, T. Bone said, "Smalley (District Administrator) called to talk about Spring Fling. It's $35 and blah blah blah." The incredulous look on my face at his comments and lack of use of any customary salutations such as Mr. then prompted him to add, "What? I don't know why you would waste your money on boring stuff. I don't think an extra recess with Miss K. (principal) is worth $50 bucks! Or I could go to the museum with Mrs. W. and what would I say, are you single?" Ok, he doesn't want to go on a date with a teacher. Well, no worries because we have other plans this weekend and won't be attending the fundraiser to bid on any auctioned dates or privileges.

I snuggled up with Miss Bit to read before bed. Tonight I chose a Dr. Seuss title from T. Bone's shelves expecting her to have some success, but I was almost as thrilled as she was when she took off and read several pages. Then she took off down the hall to read for T. Bone. He may have been quick to point out when she skipped an And, but I know he was proud of her. She showed off for her Daddy too. Learning to read is just such an exciting milestone.

The sleep police...I mean T. Bone poked his head out from the shower to announce that it was 9:00 and past Miss Bit's bedtime when we had a few more pages to go. It was hard to take him seriously as he was singing and dancing away the suds in a small shower stall moments before: "Pop it, lock it, polka dot it, countryfi it, hip hop it....zig zag cross the floor...do the hoe down."

I tucked her in and she started to say her dinnertime prayers. She caught herself with a giggle. I went down the hall to say goodnight to him. He was a little burned that she got to stay up late and pretended to be asleep until I offerred to tickle his back. He loves it when we draw letters on his back and he has to guess the words. She started sniffling and crying when she got up for a final potty break and realized that I was cuddling with him. Drama has become a regular part of any regular day around here. I assured her that I would tickle her tomorrow night. When she realized that I meant business, the waterworks were turned off just as quickly as she turned them on.

I am having a hard time focusing here...I think I should call it a night too.

No comments: