Friday, February 19, 2010

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...


A night with friends. The kids all played well together despite the fact that there's almost a decade between the oldest and the youngest. Miss Bit was the only girl, but she's got the boys well trained as you can see. She loves all the M. boys.


My little traveler...he was go with the flow, eager to see a new place and try new things, thankful for the time with family and appreciative of the experience. I know for a certain fact that he learned more on this trip than he would have in school.
My VIK (Very Important Kindergartner). Today is her Show and Share. She carefully selected each item to bring: a blue shell from Grandma P. and Grandpa P. that she decided was from New Zealand, her Princess and the Frog CD, her dream catcher, a photo of her and Ariel hugging at Disney,and her bedmate, Alice. She told me she's going to tell the class, "Alice is from my Nanny. She was her's, and then she gave her to me before she went up to heaven so now she's mine and I love her. Well...I love her Nanny and I love her Alice."
Time heals nothing. It's what you do with the time that makes a difference. These words are resonating with me today.
I had a good cathartic cry Monday. It was such a relief to let it out after working to hold it in these past couple months.
My first issue of bon appetit waiting in my mailbox yesterday. It's no Gourmet, but it'll have to do.

A special Sunday dinner...a little Valentine's Day celebration. I cannot say enough about the company, the food or the wine, not to mention my sil's table. We even got favors...there was a bag of candy at each place setting, and the ladies each got a dozen beautiful roses.


These little vases reminding me of such simple truths: Laugh Often, Love Much and Live Well.
Friday I told the kids about Buddy. T. Bone's immediate response was, "Are Grandma and Grandpa going to get a puppy now?" Miss Bit's eyes welled up and over and she had tears on and off all night. I sat down with the kids and we each made sympathy cards. That's when T. Bone got a little emotional.
Talking with the kids this week about how lucky we are in our country...how more than 1/2 of the world's population subsists on 1/2 a bowl of rice a day. It really made them...us...think, count blessings, want to be more charitable.

Catching Miss Bit holed up in the family room munching her way through her Valentine treat bag. I surprised her and she surprised me too by actually admitting that she had just eaten 7 pieces of candy! I love her sweet tooth as much as I love her honesty.
During his homily, Father T. talked about how he lost his voice for a few days a couple weeks ago. It was right before he left for his annual vacation to Mexico, and he thought the timing was rather serendipitous. He was quite pleased that as he communicated with nods and smiles, margarita after margarita were placed in his hands. Smiles...they really are underrated.
Pizza eating possums. I have been stocking the critter buffet on the patio for the cat's viewing pleasure almost daily. The last couple nights it's been sold out. Last night Peanut was nose to nose with a possum (through the glass, of course), who wasn't going anywhere until he finished all the pizza.
My brother came over to watch the Badger game last night. Then we turned on figure skating and the boy's commentary was quite entertaining. It was nice to see him in the middle of the week.
The Daisies were so excited to earn a petal this week for being good sisters to each other, and Miss Bit was especially thrilled that her very first petal just happened to be her favorite color...purple. I'm also grateful that I made it to the Girl Scout store to pick up the patches for her tunic. She was so appreciative that it was no longer naked and eager to wear it all day at school Wednesday.
T. Bone was so certain he didn't want to tag along to the Daisy meeting that he went behind my back and took matters into his own hands by calling our neighbors and arranging to ride the bus to their house that day. I guess you could call that resourcefulness (or disobedience).
T. Bone and Miss Bit headed up to his room to build Legos last night and did so for a good chunk of time before coming downstairs so we could settle a disagreement. For Lent they are working on being nicer to each other. I took the opportunity to tell them that my brother is one of my best friends even though I'm a girl and I'm older. Her eyes got all dreamy and he just looked shocked...incredulous...in utter disbelief that they too could (will) be good friends one day.

No comments: