Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First Day

First day of school...first day of freedom. It pretty much went off without a hitch. My girl woke on her own and came in with a smile on her face for an early morning cuddle with me, my hubby and Tigger. She was excited to get dressed in her 'beautiful' new outfit and did so with nary a complaint. She liked the hairstyle I gave her (big ponytail with headband) on the very first try, and that almost never happens ever.

I came downstairs to find T Bone already dressed in his new skater shirt (apparently he's reinventing himself for 3rd grade - new year, new image) hard at work on his chores. His virtual chores that is. He was logged on at Facebook harvesting his crops, planting new seedlings and milking his cows. While at the in laws for a couple days last week, he got hooked on Farmville so my mil opened him up his very own Facebook account. Yes, I am now friends with my 8 year old son on the Internet and I am a fellow farmer. The way I see it is that if baseball or now skateboarding don't work out for him, he can always acquire some acres and live of the fruit of the land.

After a warm, nutritious breakfast served by my June Cleaver personality, we headed outside for the obligatory first day of school photos. I always take one of the kids (T Bone, Lil Bit and our friend and fellow third grader, Miss O) with their outrageously over stuffed back packs cuz' you know it may take a village to raise a child, and it also takes an entire Walmart back to school department to educate them! Because I seriously was worried about them being able to haul their supplies to class, I decided to drive them. Me and every other parent in the district. Seriously, we had to park illegally just to get a spot within a half a mile!

T Bone and Miss O went on their merry, mature ways the minute we got into school and it took all my mite, but I strongly resisted the overwhelming urge to run after him and give him a hug. Even I know how detrimental that would have been to his cool factor! Miss Bit and I made our way to the gym where she was to meet her teacher. She was quiet as a mouse so I knew she was nervous. One of her little friends approached her and said, "Lil Bit I have missed you so much!" Then she went in for the hug and my girl acted as if she had just seen Medusa. She was paralyzed...turned to stone.

Finally Mrs. D. came to greet Miss Bit and she seemed to relax a little. It didn't matter how many times I told her what a wonderful person Mrs. D. was, she had to see and feel it for herself. I kissed her good bye and I left and do you know what? I didn't shed a single tear and neither did my girl!

I got to my van and I was all like 'What's wrong with me for not crying like a baby in my coffee?" But I just didn't feel it. I felt proud and at peace and very pleased. And I am not going to apologize for that!

My Baby...my babies...are growing up, and into two amazing individuals and that is to be celebrated, extolled, embraced. I also have no trouble with alone time to take a 5 miler, shower in silence, shop all by myself and countless other things I did just for little old me today.

Now that being said, I did start listening with one ear for the bus at 3:30. When the bus finally stopped in front of our house at a little after 4:00, I had already gone to the door 3 times. I have missed time to myself, but I did miss my kids today too.

No comments: