Monday, September 14, 2009

Weekend in Review

I made it home this afternoon with time to spare before the bus pulled up. It was one of those afternoons that my kids walked in one door and out another in route to find friends and fun. I am more than ok with that today because I am beyond tired and I'm fighting off a raging cold. I am not feeling the least bit guilt ridden for sitting on the couch in my housecoat (cuter than it sounds and way comfortable) blogging while I am watching Oprah interview Whitney Houston. Sure I should be fitting in a run, but my nose is running like a sieve, and there are loads of laundry to tackle, but then again there are still closets filled with clean clothes. The way I assess the situation...I'll be much more productive tomorrow if I rest today.

Fall ball started yesterday. T Bone was anxious to don the catcher's gear and get in on a little action behind home plate. He did great despite the fact that he is usually the star third baseman. He moved up to the minors and despite the fact that it's still baseball...it's a whole different game. Miss Bit more than made up for her month long hiatus from the concession stand. I didn't balk too loudly though because she has been eating like a baby bird the past 2 weeks feeling the effects of a tummy virus and then double ear infections. I just pray that we are all healthy in time for our trip south to the Happiest Place on Earth!

And speaking of prayers...we made it to church yesterday for the first time after a longer than intended break from the BIG house. I'll save just how long for the confessional. It was good to be back. Father T.'s sermon was inspiring and thought provoking as always. Miss Bit lit up like a Christmas tree when she heard him belting it out during the processional. Then she melted into a puddle during mass. That often happens to her because she always thinks of her Nanny when we are in church, but yesterday she was crying for the nun in the pew in front of us. I surmised that her wheelchair was the culprit, but Miss Bit confessed, "I just feel so bad for her because she's all alone." They made a connection during the sign of peace and as mass ended they shared a special smile. Now I am certain she'll beam every time she sees the sister the same way that she radiates when she sees Father T.

I explained that nuns don't have families, as in husbands and children, because they are married with God just like the priest. She was completely satisfied with that explanation. T Bone, on the other hand, questioned, "What happens if the nun accidentally gets children?" Quickly I let him know that wasn't possible, but he persisted and I'm not proud, but I shut the conversation down. I wasn't sure if he was talking about immaculate conception or broken vows of chastity, but I was ill-prepared to tackle either topic.

And speaking of vows...we watched I Love You, Man this weekend and we laughed and laughed. My 18 year old cousin suggested it and was persistent enough despite my skepticism. I'm sorry to GiGi that I didn't have faith in her taste. It's just that she has some pink hair and plenty of piercings and she loves Hello Kitty and she wears shorts that just barely cover her behind and she is constantly on her i phone texting and there just didn't seem to be any possible way that we could think the same jokes are funny. I really owe her an apology because I picked Surveillance for our movie night Saturday lured by its description...twisted and disturbing...and it was, sadly, both and bad. Then I badly burnt what was left of the popcorn. It's a good thing we were still full from our takeout Chinese. GiGi came for a weekend at the Inn, but she didn't get any home cooking or laundry service. She just moved from another city on the lake for college and she needed a break from the dorms.

And speaking of college....T Bone went to his first EVER Badger football game Saturday. Go Bucky! It was a glorious day and a GREAT game. He had very much fun and I'm glad he finally got to experience it. When he was a baby and we still had our season tickets, I used to fantasize about taking him to a game dressed all in Badger red. Who was I kidding?! Heck the hubby and I couldn't even get to a game back then, and then we got rid of our tickets all together. Saturday, though, it was boy bonding at its best.

And speaking of bonding...the girls did the same. We went for iced coffees and Orangina and sweet treats and then we strolled along the breakwater where we had a blast people watching. When we came home, we did some beauty treatments. Miss Bit now has purple and blue nails and hair that is soft as silk after her deep conditioning mask.

The whole family bonded over bbq and football at my brother and sil-to-be's last night. We used to gather for Sunday dinner almost every week at my Mom's. We pretty much have kept that tradition, but now my Dad and step mother are often joining us around the table. At first, that seemed odd, but now it is comforting.

No comments: