Friday, September 11, 2009

A Moment of Silence Please

As I made my way into to the office today, I passed over the same bridge that I cross numerous times a week, but it was different. It was flanked on either side by flags flying freely in the morning breeze. It was a sea of stars and stripes. I lost my breath for a moment and I held back tears as it first hit me that today is September 11th.

How can it be that I listened to portions of multiple local and national broadcasts this morning and I heard not one mention of today's significance? Have we already forgotten? Become complacent? Convinced ourselves that we are immune once again?

Today I don't want to hear a single mention about health care reform. I don't want to hear a word about the collapse of Lehman nearly a year ago and the ensuing freefall of world markets. I don't want to hear nary a whisper about the decline of the dollar or Cash for Clunkers or any other stimulus sham.

Eight years ago today thousands of innocent people were executed for crimes they didn't even commit all in the name of this jihad that has only grown stronger and this hatred that has only become more dangerous. It is important that we don't forget their sacrifice and remember what is truly important to us as individuals and citizens of this nation.

No comments: