Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Monday, September 22, 2008

(Excerpt From Personal Journal )


My Mom turned 60 yesterday and all things considered, it was a beautiful day. She was awake, alert, and happy to share the occasion with her closest family and friends. When I remember my Mom on this special day, I will see her just as she was...in a state of grace...filled with and surrounded by peace and love. So much love.

Her "inner circle" all played an integral part in making the day memorable. We gathered together to commemorate 60 beautiful years well lived. During my toast, I confessed that my biggest wish is that there would be...could be...60 more, but no one can deny she's done a lot of living in that too short of a time.

Her supportive neighbors made sure her day started with plenty of thoughtful whimsy. They came...all of them...bearing bouquet after bouquet of sweet pink balloons. They decorated her entire deck with the inflatables, brought her a glass of bubbly and gave her hugs and well wishes. It was so terrifically touching.

Jess came early and spent some time with my Mom because she had another commitment later in the day. When my Mom snoozed, she did laundry and washed crystal for the luncheon she was unable to stay for. Kathy also came early as she had to work later in the day. She sat with my Mom and she vacuumed the family room because she saw it needed to be done. So many friends to do whatever is needed even before you know you need it - it is such a buoyant blessing. Shortly thereafter, Mary B, Debbie, Candace, Rose and Mary G arrived. My brother and his girlfriend picked up my Mom's favorite burgers and fries. My hubby came with a bouquet of 60 roses in 6 regal colors - one for each decade of her life. The house is filled with the most stunning flowers. As I walk from room to room, I think I'm in a florist shop. Yesterday, Kristen dropped off the perfect cake decorated with shamrocks. My Aunt brought her favorite cheesecake and she lit up like a Christmas tree because her sweet tooth is stronger than ever. My other Aunt spent days in the kitchen and delivered more than a week's worth of warm, tasty meals. My cousin sent flowers. My Dad even came bearing a bouquet.

We celebrated - we ate, drank, laughed, cried, remembered and shared some absolutely beautiful time together. It was a warm embrace just to be in the love filled house. I never cease to be utterly amazed by the communion of kindred spirits or of the amazing strength of my Mom's spirit even as she grows weaker in body.

The day itself was a gift to be cherished. Isn't every day a gift? A bow tied present?

No comments: