Monday, August 31, 2009

Whirlwind of a Week





And he we are - at the much anticipated, ever dreaded...last day of summer vacation. Truthfully, it already smells and feels like fall in our neck of the woods. And truthfully, I think that this seasonal rite of passage is taking more of a toll on me than on my kids. T Bone appears to be completely in denial, and Miss Bit is actually excited because you know Mrs. D. is her teacher, and her friend G. is in her class, she has a cute new outfit already picked out and it just may be cool enough to wear it, and they are having chicken nuggets for hot lunch tomorrow!

One would think that I'd be chomping at the bit to get them on the bus and then do the happy dance all the way up the drive way over 7+ hours all to myself, but I'm going to miss them...I'm going to miss all the fun. I know I'll have no shortage of things that both I need to get done and I want to get done to keep me plenty busy. My house and my body are going to love me because of all the time I will have to devote to the both of them.

So today we are just hanging around the homestead. Their only request to play with friends in the neighborhood. That's an easy one to oblige and understand since we haven't been home much these past couple weeks. It is a luxury to be sitting at my computer catching up over a cup of coffee (courtesy of my new Keurig that I L-O-V-E as much as the people who gave it to me) while listening to The Phantom of the Opera.

I have always found the music hauntingly beautiful (my Mom used to clean the house to the soundtrack), but had never seen the show (or have I? It was hauntingly familiar.)
My step-mother took me for my birthday this weekend and I was awed and inspired by the performance. We sat second row center which made it feel like we were not watching the show, but rather in it. The famous chandelier perched precariously directly above our heads was mildly unnerving. Both of us were teary eyed at the end. Doesn't every one want Christine to choose the Phantom? I believe the performance is in my top 5 behind only Wicked and Cats. Cats was the very first musical I had the pleasure of seeing and I just happened to see it on Broadway so I doubt it will ever be dethroned. If I had my way, Tigger would be Rumpelteazer and Peanut would be Mungojerrie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UthNI8QosMY

I thought I was Phantom-bound last Saturday. I was sure that was the entertainment planned for my birthday evening, but I sure was wrong, and I have to hand it to my hubby and my family and friends for getting me once again. I walked into my brother's house and was very surprised to see most of the most important and loved people in my life joined in celebration of my birthday. It was THE perfect night in every way...the company, the catering, the cake, even the Krismos! I'm beyond thankful to every one for one unforgettable, special night. So of course, the icing on the cake was still getting to see the show!

And speaking of shows...we saw the 2009 Idols perform Friday night. The plan was that T Bone, myself, my mil and my friend, Aunt Jess were going to go, but the truth of the matter is that T. Bone had a better offer and chose to forfeit his ticket to his thrilled sister. He assessed the situation and said, "Mom, I'm just not so sure it's going to be so much fun." Ok, then. Can it be my baby is growing up and doesn't want to go to a rock concert with ladies in their prime?!?! Miss Bit got all dolled up and was ready to go. She sat rather still until Allison came on stage at which point she thrust her Dippin Dots in my lap, and I was all like, "I don't want these." And she was all like, "Mom, I have to get up and dance!" Dance she did, and scream and shout. That continued through Danny Gokey. Adam Lambert put her to sleep for a couple minutes thankfully it wasn't during Whole Lotta Love, but rather Mad World.
By the time Chris Allen got on stage, she was ready to call it a night. All in all, I think she did hold her own at her very first rock concert. It was not as awesome a show as 2 years ago, but it still was worth it. It really was the Adam, Danny, Chris show.

Last week we took the kids and 2 of their friends to an amazing waterpark in the Dells. I have to admit that I was not really super excited about it, but I knew the kids would have an absolute blast. And now I must confess on the Internet that I too had very much fun. So let me let you in on a little secret - age is relative people! It's totally true that you are only as old as you feel or act. It reminded me of my Dad and aunts having such a blast right alongside my brother and I when we were kids spending time at our favorite waterpark. After 7 hours in the water Monday, the kids were literally too tired to eat the pizza when it came. They were, however, ready to get back in the water come Tuesday morning. Wednesday, was a slow day around here nonetheless.

It's been a good week, and if I had to say...40 thus far is nothing but fabulous!

No comments: