Saturday, August 22, 2009

Good Riddance Thirties

Yesterday was the best birthday I could have asked for, and if it is even an inkling of an indication of what is in store for me this decade, I am beyond blessed. Bring it on!

I woke up crabby because I had just finally fallen asleep. I hopped in the shower and resigned myself to simply making it through the day. Then my girl comes bounding in my bathroom bellowing Happy Birthday Mama with such sweetness and sincerity, and that folks was enough to stir some sense into me. It was all I needed to adjust my attitude, and resign myself to having a good day. When I came downstairs, Miss Bit exclaimed, You look beautiful! Must have been that change of attitude. I dropped her off at camp and her parting words were, Remember...today's your birthday Mama. I had renewed spring in my step as I made my way to my van and a smile on my face as I rocked on all the way downtown to the Black Eyed Peas!

I was busy at work, but I managed to take a few breaks to receive well wishes by phone, e mail (some even brought me to tears), Facebook, and courier (getting flowers at work is such fun), and then I even stole away for a ladies lunch with friends. After the conversation, Caesar salads and chardonnay my day could have ended and I would have been a happy girl.

But lucky for me that was only the beginning.

I went up to change once I was home and heard my Mom's chimes singing in the late summer breeze. I felt her reminding me that she is here...so close and yet so far away. I talked to my Dad and his nostalgia surprised me. He asked me if I knew that my Mom was in labor with me for 26 hours. How did I not know that? Then he told me that they were told I was a boy and had even painted my room blue. When I was finally born, they were very surprised. Apparently my Mom's OB told all his patients they were expecting boys and his partner told his patients to paint their nurseries pink. Science was not what it is today in 1969. Just those couple tidbits were great gifts on this day.

An impromptu gathering of my favorite people went well into the night. It was just what I wanted and needed. We ate pizza and opened presents. Don't hate me, but I was very spoiled. My kids could hardly wait to present me with their gifts. Miss Bit picked out the prettiest claddagh necklace for me on the sly last week at Irishfest, and it is just so special that I may never take it off. T Bone decided it would be a nice idea to renew my membership at my favorite nature preserve. The thoughtfulness of that gift leaves me speechless. He knows that spending time there is manna for my soul. I was surprised to see a beautifully wrapped box from my hubby as he already bought me a new pair of Oakleys for my birthday. A pair of absolutely beautiful sterling silver hoops for my recently pierced ears were inside. My frister Jess gave me a very cool new clock for my clock wall, a wall she herself inspired with last year's gift. (That is another post.) And last, but not least, my brother and future sister-to-be gave me an awesome new camera. Not 5 minutes before I opened the gift, Jess mentioned that we really need a new camera. I was very stoked! I am not going to say that I don't L-O-V-E getting gifts, because that would be a colossal untruth, but I will tell you that spending time with the people I love truly is better than anything that comes in a pretty blue Tiffany box. I was celebrated. I was loved on. I was even handed the microphone despite the fact that I cannot sing.

Yes, we played Wii Rock Band into the wee hours unlocking songs left and right. We went through 2 9 volts for the microphone. Both my kids tired out and asked to go to bed. That never happens! I was eating a piece of the decadent french silk pie, my favorite, my family picked just for me at 1:00 a.m. Let me just tell you that my love cup was filled to the brim.

I slept like a baby and that's a good thing because I have to be dressed and ready to go out by 5:00 tonight. Don't ask me where. It's a surprise, but I've heard it involves a limo and some tickets to something. Bring it on!

No comments: