Tuesday, August 11, 2009

(in)Courage

I spent a few minutes first thing this morning exploring this new (in)spiring, (in)credible collective site hosted by a tribe of honest and humble women. http://www.incourage.me/2009/08/the-kaleidoscope-.html

Immediately, I added it to my list of favorites knowing that it was a presence destined to be a pillar in my life day in and day out as I seek to find meaning, direction and connections over my coffee every morning. I decided that I would participate in sharing what exactly encourages me, but I never anticipated that my day would unravel like a perfect parable, an exhaustive example of what indeed encourages me. What it is that gives me courage to get up every day.

In fact, I was only sips into my mug this morning, when I realized that I was dealing with a very, very sick kitty. Immediately my kids abandoned their warm and gooey waffles to help contain the crisis. They showed concern and compassion far beyond their short life spans. I took several deep breaths and prayed. When I didn't get an immediate answer, I called my husband. He is always the calm in my storm, and today he knew that he had to come home and fight the fire beside me.

The kids seemed not only to accept, but also to truly understand that our plans to spend the beautiful day at the state fair had to be dashed. In the meantime, the family friend we were to share cream puffs with and together cheer on the pigs in the races, sensed the panic in my voice when she called to confirm our ETA. Unsummoned, she came to us quickly no questions asked.

The cat was able to be seen and treated at the vet immediately and he will be ok, my neighbor helped the boys set up a successful lemonade stand, and my friend kept the girls entertained with science experiments using ingredients from my own kitchen. The kids even got to go to the fair later in the day with our neighbor friends. Me and my hubby were able to disinfect and decompress.

What about this encourages me you ask? Everything, is the simple, true answer. The way that people come together to offer support and lessen the load. The way that together we can endure and prevail over adversity of any degree. The way that sharing the burden makes it bearable. The way that we are strong, so much stronger, together than alone. The way that we can reframe our expectations in light of circumstances so as to persevere and prevail. The way that we can start every day with a ray or two of hope and then look back at the end of even a trying day filled with too many tests and still find the good and feel blessed. The way that we take care of each other and the way He holds us in the palm of His hand.

We are all (in)this together and that is all the courage that I need.

1 comment:

Holley Gerth said...

"We are all (in)this together and that is all the courage that I need." Yes, exactly...so well said, so beautiful and true. Thank you for this post!
Holley - (in)courage