Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sugar and Spice


Tomorrow my little girl turns 5, and that just sounds so big. I am far more nostalgic for her momentous milestone than the birthday I am soon to celebrate myself. My baby growing up...it is just so bittersweet.

Pinch me...it really was just yesterday that she was born, at 6:29 during a fiery sunrise over the lake. I can still hear her hello cries over the sound of Too Ra Loo Ra Loo Ra as she entered this world...cries that stopped the moment she was placed on my chest where she lay for a precious few minutes while we became reacquainted gazing into one another's eyes, eyes stained with joyous tears. Breath taking, and yet life sustaining, were her dainty features, her beautiful aura, the life changing moment.

I wanted to stop time right then, and at least a thousand times since in the last 5 years. Her first smile (5 weeks), first laugh (9 weeks), first sounds ("kkkk" and "gggg" at 10 weeks), first word ("Mama" at 6 months), first applause (7 months), first steps (8 1/2 months), first haircut (364 days old), first time on the naughty spot, first and last "I love yous," first time as my sous chef, first shopping spree, first official day of school (September, 08), last day of K4 (June 19, 2009), first pig tails (3 weeks ago). I savor them all - moments both big and moments so small.

As if it is even possible, she grows more beautiful with each passing year. Beauty not discriminating on both the inside and outside. To know my Lil Bit is to love her...what's not to love? She is sweet and sassy, confident and considerate, soulful and filled with the love of all things living. She loves bugs and tutus, unicorns and toads, chocolate and vanilla, every color under the rainbow with a strong affinity for pink and purple, playing 'rich girl' and 'hot lava' with the girls and screaming loudly as she runs away from the boys, Peanut and Tigger, showers and baths, manicures and pedicures, lullabies and rock n' roll, Harry Potter and Hannah Montana, catching fireflies and setting them free, giving back rubs and getting them, giving gifts and receiving them...she loves everything about life and lives it like it is a true gift!

She fills my life with so much magic and wonder as she discovers even more about the world we live in every day, and her exhuberance and excitement literally makes me come alive. See...I may have given her life, but she has reminded me how to live it.

Happy Birthday Lil Bit. I love you to the moon and back night after night!

1 comment:

Jack said...

Congrats to both you and your little one. Sounds like you're both very lucky to have each other. Heart-warming. And on the subject of life-changing moments, I invite you to check out this site -- ahamoment.com -- which was created by Mutual of Omaha to highlight inspirational stories and "aha moments" of all kinds. Your post reminds me of a couple of very nice stories on the site, including this one -- ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/5713 -- about a mother's 'ultimate gift.' I think you'll enjoy it and the rest of the site.

Thanks,
jack@ahamoment.com