Wednesday, May 30, 2012

MIA

It's been a whirlwind of a weekend.  The momentum gathered during our time off has not subsided in our time back on.  And while my week doesn't really start until tomorrow, I haven't managed to slow down long enough to compose any cohesive thoughts for this precious space.  The time I haven't spent here has been gnawing at me like a thirsty mosquito.

I'm completely cognizant of the fact that there are only 7 days left of school...and that's including today.  Before the end of next week I will have a 6th grader and a 3rd grader.  By the end of next week, I must morph into Julie McCoy to direct and delight my crew.  It's that time of year again...yes, already.

Today is the last day I have all to myself so I'm going to spend it doing mostly what I want to do.  But before I get on with this business of making the most of my time, I must first share some moments and memories already made from much time together.

Last night was T. Bone's Student of the Quarter dinner.  He was one of 16 students awarded for academic success, character excellence and leadership roles school wide, and I was totally blown away by all of the recognition he received.  It was touching.  I dare say I got a little teary eyed when the fifth grade teachers read this poem they wrote about my so deserving son:

T. Bone is a wonderful guy-
He challenges himself to reach for the sky.
In fifth grade he exhibits leadership skills-
And classroom expectations he always fulfills.
He makes a difference in so many ways-
Always working to brighten up other people's days.
He sings beautifully in the school choir-
T. Bone is one we can all admire.
He's a wonderful boy. it is clear to see-
T. Bone is an important part of our school community! 



He is also a very committed ball player so as soon as he had his fair share of our favorite area restaurant's garlic bread and pasta, kind words, heartfelt congrats and audience applause he was practically sprinting to the car to get to the second half of his baseball game.  He made it for an out.  By the time Miss Bit and I made our way to the field, the game was over.  The Mets run-ruled the poor Jays and are still undefeated.  11 and 0!  Now we have a baseball reprieve until Saturday.  That's a good thing too since tonight T. Bone has a choir concert and tomorrow Miss Bit has a softball game.

Miss Bit has been a busy bee too.  Our Harley chick put on her presentation yesterday for the class.  She worked hard and was excited to share what she learned about the motorcycle world with her friends.  I'd give her an A just because she rocked the doo rag!

She had a birthday party for a new friend, a sleepover with a best friend and a swimming date with her aunt and uncle this weekend.  Life is good, but getting better.  She can hardly wait for summer vacation because she already adores the teenage babysitter we hired.
  


So 7 days and counting.  Counting down.  Summer vacation is single digits away.  It's almost here so I probably won't be here a whole lot, yet missing in action is not a bad place to be.

No comments: