Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Beautiful Pride

I am in a state of intense mama pride.  Just as I was sitting down here to finally write some of the most memorable details of Miss Bit's exceptional weekend, the phone rang.  It was T. Bone's principal.  My heart started racing...he has never called before.  He has never called before because T. Bone has never (in the past 3 quarters) been named Student of the Quarter...never until today that is!  It's no small deal to be one of 4 fifth grade students recognized by teachers in this way year to date.  Mr. G. expressed that T. Bone is a "Great student and a great kid with some great parents."  I thanked him too because T. Bone's teachers have played no small role in his ongoing evolution.  They are partially responsible for the growth he has experienced this year as a student, learner and leader.  Wow I say Wow.

So I'm about ready to burst because my heart was already swelling with such happiness for Miss Bit.  My girl who was so excited that she couldn't sleep Saturday night literally buzzing with awed anticipation for her First Holy Communion the next day.  Then she was up at the crack of dawn with me wondering if it was time to get ready just about every 5 minutes for 3 plus hours.  I puttered around putting the final touches on the luncheon spread, and she thanked me at least 10 times for all the work I was doing to make her celebration special.  I don't know many 7 year olds who notice all the little touches enough to appreciate them, but my girl sees the heart and soul in life's simple things.  That's just one of the countless things I adore about her.

I painted her nails a pretty pearly white.  Her Dad painted her toes, which just tickled her pink.  She doesn't know many dads who give pedicures!  Then I set her hair, and worked hard to perfect the fancy pony we practiced with Aunt Jess earlier in the week. Second time was a charm.  Miss Bit was pleased and believe me...so was I.  When I placed the floral wreath on her head, I started to cry because she seriously looked like an angel, and I was just so blown away by the beauty she was emanating from inside out.  She put on her dress, the cross earrings Aunt Carol gave her, a corsage from Grandma and Grandpa, her sparkly shoes and her pearl necklace, and she couldn't stop looking in the mirror.

The service was touching and each of the 7 First Communicants was steeped in thoughtful reverence.  Father B. gave his homily on his knees before them and a packed church as they listened wide eyed and ever anxious until finally it was time.  Miss Bit was the last to receive the sacrament, and literally rushed up the aisle.  She didn't wait for her Dad and I to flank her as instructed, but it really didn't matter because I understood her urgency.  She hemmed and hawed over drinking the wine, and decided to do so at almost the last minute.  News flash...she didn't care for it one bit!

The sky was dark and thunder rolled, but the mounting storm outside was a stark contrast to the peace in my heart.  It was a beautiful day in the best of ways, and it was just getting started.

As I anticipated, Miss Bit was anxious to change into something more comfortable soon after the paparazzi was through, and just in time for a fine luncheon spread, which everyone seemed to very much enjoy.  The kids (and a few adults I'n guessing) ate almost the whole double recipe of Trisha Yearwood's crock pot mac & cheese.  Miss Bit received many beautiful, thoughtful gifts.  She read each card, beamed as she opened every box and thanked each and every giver.  She's truly delighted by them one and all.  After cake (which I think I've finally learned how to cut thanks to my aunt), the party started to wind down, and that caused Miss Bit to feel down in the dumps.  Luckily, a few loved ones stayed long enough for a friendly game of Apples to Apples, and you know what they say?  All good things must come to an end.  She slept like a baby that night and woke still beaming Monday morning.  On the way to school I asked her what the very best part of her weekend was.  She didn't even pause before answering, "Spending time with all my family and friends."      

No comments: