Friday, May 4, 2012

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

This conversation with my best girl...

I was driving through our neighborhood with Miss Bit.  We passed a posse of yarmulke wearing youths (youths we've passed on many an occasion wearing their yarmulkes), and she strained to keep them in view as we drove up the block like she was seeing something for the very first time.

Miss Bit: "What are those funny hats?"

Mom: "Those are called yarmulkes.  Jewish boys and men wear them."

Miss Bit: "What is Jewish?"

Mom: WTH..I mean " Jewish is a religion.  It's like Catholicism only it's not because Jews don't believe in Jesus."

Miss Bit: "Well...then... I don't like them."

Mom:  "No, no, no, we like people even if they don't share our beliefs.  You know some people don't believe in God at all and I still like them.  So does God."

Miss Bit:  "No way Mom!  A.'s friend E. doesn't believe in God. Mom!  She!  Doesn't!  Believe!  In!  God!"

Mom:  "Yep, that's called agnostic.  Some people have a hard time having faith in something they can't see, and that's OK, but I'm just grateful you have faith because I think it makes your life better.  Believing makes your life easier, happier, and more rewarding."

Miss Bit:  "OH!  I B-E-L-I-E-V-E!  I believe in God.  I believe in the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit and I believe in Nanny!  I can't see her, but I know she's here."

Yep...this God, Nanny loving heart is good and grateful!

Thank you...I needed that today.

Amen and good night.

No comments: