Sunday, May 13, 2012

Everyone Has A Mother

My alarm went off at 7:30 this morning.  I turned it off and willed myself back to sleep because I was dreaming about my Mom.  It's a dream I have had too many times to count.  My Mom is alive, but I know she is going to die and I also know there is nothing I can do.  This scenario, which played out in real life, used to send me into a panic, a state of woeful helplessness or a rage of bitter anger.  This Mother's Day morning all of those feelings subsided so when my Mom passed as she always does, I went from crying tears of sorrow to crying tears of joy.  Joy because although I couldn't see where she was going, I could feel how extraordinarily beautiful it was.

I feel compelled to post this picture of my Mom on the day she made her First Holy Communion today because every time I've stopped to look at it tacked up on my refrigerator the past few weeks, it has made me smile.  Like smile with all my heart.

Yesterday Father T. asked how I was doing and acknowledged that this is likely a difficult holiday for me. It felt so good to be able to share with him that the beauty and grace of Miss Bit making her own First Communion last weekend really lifted my spirit at a time that can be sadder than others these years.  I think the reason for this happy peace I am feeling - relative, not resounding - is my acceptance of the circle of life and my belief that we are indeed destined for something greater.

Happy Mother's Day to us all because we all have a mother.  Bless them one and all.

No comments: