Saturday, May 9, 2020

Why I Walk


Sometimes I put off my walk. It never makes sense because every time I pound the pavement I feel like a new person. Yesterday was no different, but I finally laced up and headed out. It was a cool, but beautifully sunny day and that sun makes all the difference. There were very few people on my favorite paths. That's the way I like it. I had lots of company though. Birds. I always see robins in the woods. Right now they're all about building nests. Every little beak was busy with twigs. I have such a motherly affinity for them. I saw a flash of yellow...a goldfinch. They are rare sightings on the path. Soon after I noticed a cardinal and then his mate also rare in this stretch. I meandered on my way and they flanked me one on either side of the path, singing and following along. Then leading the way. I smiled. I said Hi. Hi to my mom and I thanked her for the visit. I felt ridiculously jubilant. Cardinals are said to be loved ones returning. My mom comes to me in birds since the day after her death. Not every bird, but there are times I feel it, her and I just know. Then a little further on down the path, an enormous bald eagle flew down the river and I felt awed. I was wonderstruck by the grand creature and also the way that the universe speaks to us. I was thankful for my ability and willingness to listen, to find meaning, to receive comfort. Grateful that the connection is still so strong.


No comments: