Saturday, May 16, 2020

Quarantine Life

The sun is out, but it feels like a fall day. Especially after yesterday, which was definitely summer. I slept with the window cracked last night. The fresh breeze was intoxicating. It was a fitful night owing to evening water consumption and Mike's snoring. I tried to shake him out of it a couple times, but he's sleeping the least here at Casa Wags so I didn't have the heart to disturb him. I squished a pair of ear plugs in my canals in defeat. That caused another set of  sounds that kept me awake and annoyed. It was my first time wearing them. Do you know you can hear your heart beating? That you can hear your lungs compressing and expanding? You can even hear yourself blink. Eventually I fell asleep only to dream of being under water. Go figure. I was trapped in a fugue state. Floating then sinking. Holding my breath. Literally, forgetting to breath. I think I'll forgo ear plugs in the future.

I spent the bulk of the beautiful day yesterday in the office. I went in to take care of a few matters and then I kept going. It was good productive time, but after just a few hours I came home and crashed. I'm thinking I need to negotiate an afternoon nap when I'm back to putting in a full day, a full week. I put on a random Netflix thriller and watched the whole thing prone on the couch. I felt the pneumonia front come through at dusk. It's uncanny how definitive a wind shift can be.

I picked Ted up at the club house just after dark. He played an extra nine than his buds so he was stranded and cold. I had an ulterior motive for being so accommodating. I wanted ice cream. I tried to coax him with a stop at Culvers for his dinner, my treat, but he said he really only wanted ice cream. Thank you custard gods. The line was ridiculously long so we made a pit stop at the grocery for pizzas and pints. I came home and put on another thriller. He made our pizza and spared me two slices of Home Run. He ate the rest. All of it. Then he left to hang out with his squad. I thought maybe he'd stay home and work on his Survivor Season 41 tape. My son who hates being dirty, has to sleep with a fan every night and needs to eat three square meals a day, thinks it's a good idea to audition for this show. I'm humoring him.

Mike and Pedro were having a guy's night. They were playing cards in the kitchen. I think they should try out for The Amazing Race together. Lily and I had plans for a movie night. That girl's schedule is even more whacked than mine. She wasn't ready to join me until 10 o'clock. Then she made me pick. I went with Fantasy Island for nostalgia's sake. Don't. Just don't.

I went to bed feeling like I had put in a good week. Some things were accomplished. Others are still on the list, and that's okay. There's always a list. Today's is long, but I know that what we fail to accomplish will just be moved to tomorrow's and eventually things will get done.

As soon as I finish this cup of coffee, I'm taking a walk. That's a must. Everything else is just gravy.


No comments: