Sunday, May 10, 2020

Happy Mother's Day

Mother's Day is a little tricky for me since I'm unmothered. It's not surprising those feelings are heightened during this period of isolation. I won't be invited onto the altar by Father Tim. We won't stand with the entire congregation and simultaneously shout out our mother's names. Every year he starts his sermon by acknowledging that we all have mothers whether or not they are present. His mom is more recently not present. There is something that makes the day lighter when he acknowledges I am not motherless. There's no need to hurry home from church to put the finishing touches on brunch before family arrives. I still spent some time in the kitchen yesterday cooking and baking. Mike delivered Mother's Day goodies to his mom yesterday. They were very grateful for the Quiche Lorraine and the loaf of Blueberry Almond Bread. The thoughts. My dad is stopping by today. I assume that he's bring my annual perennial pot. They always give me the most beautiful begonia for Mother's Day. I'll send him home with a gift for Judy and a Chicken Pot Pie. A batch of Lily's Peanut Butter Cookies for dessert. I hesitated on the comfort food because the weather has been so unpredictable, but today it is dreary, windy and 40 degrees. Something homemade and hearty will be perfect.

My brother and sil stopped by spontaneously after golf yesterday. I was still in my jammies and a dirty apron. We caught up on the week and only talked a little about Covid 19. Teddy came home from a bike ride, Lily came up from the basement after her workout, Mike returned from his parents and it felt like normal. I tried to get them to stay for dinner, but they were tired so I sent them home with a pan of Chicken Enchiladas and a container of my homemade black beans. Some masks too. They were happy, but I think they would have been happier to stay for Chicken Piccata. It was delicious especially served over buccatini, sans the capers and with a side of sauteed zucchini.

My dad is famous for his Chicken Piccata. When we moved in with him in high school, he decided to learn how to really cook. He got a copy of the Frugal Gourmet's cookbook and was on his way. I'll never forget finding him in the kitchen working the chicken with a 2x4 that first time. He didn't have a meat tenderizer. My dad is an excellent cook now and he still uses the 2x4 for old times sake. 

So we have the whole day free and clear. Ideally, we'd take a nice long hike, but the weather makes that a tad undesirable. It's snowing now. The only place we can go is the grocery store and we do need to do that. I could pull the Mother's Day card and send Mike with my list, but the only place we can go is the grocery store so it's kind of a treat now. I think I'll suggest another family movie afternoon. Well splurge on a new release of my choice, of course. And dinner is my choice too. The only request I'm making is steak. I'll leave the rest to them. I may make them all play Qwirkle or Boggle. So it's sounding like a pretty good day even given these unprecedented times and that's why I come here: to talk myself off the ledge, to highlight the bright spots, to remind myself to be here now because it's a good place to be.

No comments: