Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Who's Counting

I think this is week eight of staying at home. It's been a good week. It's true what they say about habits: six weeks. While this is not normal, it will be hard to go back to bedtimes, alarm clocks, dinner before dark, seven days a week. Every day is Saturday in my world. It's something I always dreamed of, but if every day is Saturday, Saturday isn't special. But so far this week of Saturdays delivers zero complaints.

It's been...

Two long walks on the river trails moving fast and feeling good. Seven or so miles. Today we saw two pairs of orioles. The lemon yellow female is just as showy as bright orange male and that is rare. Mike spotted one huge nest in an ancient tree that was filled with hundreds of downy feathers. We saw our first frog. We found four of our painted rocks and we moved them to new nooks and crannies. The air was that perfect temperature just like baby bear's porridge. This is spring. Spring for like 46 more days. Tomorrow will rain so we took advantage of the beautiful pair of days.

A trip to my favorite nursery today with Lily at the wheel cruising along country roads with open windows. I scored three strepto carpella. They were tucked away, but I had faith I'd find them. A fellow shopper shared with me that she has always known them as dancing ladies. Every time I fill my cart with these perse violets, people admire them. It makes me feel like a proud mom. We came home with eight other plants. The extended forecast shows safe overnight temperatures for these beauts, but I'll resist planting for another week.

One competitive family game of Catan. It's Ted's favorite and now we are all hooked. Mike and I played one game of Gin. I lost. By 100 points. The boys played two games of horse. Mike and I watched the last episode of Homeland and then I started it again with Ted the next night. We watched five episodes last night before falling asleep on separate couches.

One full pot of Italian Chicken Soup and one pan of extra cheesy lasagna. Tonight we'll grill three tenderloin filets and one chicken breast. I'll saute 72 ounces of spinach. This week Ted's eaten twelve eggs, one cantaloupe, one pineapple and two pounds of strawberries. Lily's eaten one rotisserie chicken. She's been tearing a tortilla into a dozen pieces and making her own chips. We have two bags of chips in the pantry, but she cooks for herself so I keep my mouth shut.

The purchase of one new water heater. I'm pretty sure the old 75 galloner was 50 years old. It had two leaks. I got two new tires. Twelve bottles of wine will be delivered tomorrow. That's a purchase I can be excited about. I'm trying to find 20 pound weights for Ted since the gym is closed indefinitely. I found a set that could be delivered before July for $60, but the freight was $139.99.

The purging of three closets. It took me about six hours. I have one closet to go: mine. That will likely take me at least ten hours. I put away the 1000 piece puzzle today. We'd lost interest. We still have like 100 words to find on our giant word search.

And there are four more Saturdays in this week.

But who's counting.

No comments: