Friday, January 3, 2014

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

being back here.  My blogging has been hit or miss, and I am starting to miss it.  There are so many beautiful moments that I wanted to capture over the holiday season, and also some painful, hurtful ones that I did capture (in my private journal).  But I've been otherwise occupied, and I'm grateful for that too.

Back to life...back to reality.  The break from normal routines and commitments was a welcome one, but I am happy to have more structure and responsibility once again defining our days.

We had a quiet New Years Eve and New Years Day.  I didn't miss the revelry or rousing a single bit.  It was perfect.  We did homemade pizzas NYE and watched a movie of Miss Bit's choosing before tuning in for the ball drop.  The next day we sat by the fire cheering on the Badgers.  T. Bone came home from a friend's late afternoon, and we had a nice, but simple family dinner to celebrate the holiday.  Coach grilled a steak for sandwiches and I made a Caesar salad.  At Miss Bit's request, we sat in the dining room and lit the candles.


 




Jalapeno Popper Pizza.  It was my NYE creation...one to be recreated, I think.

Harney & Sons Cinnamon Sunset tea.

No resolutions this year.  I confess, I never keep them.  In 2014, I'm making intentions.  What's the difference?  Resolutions have a negative air, and suggest that in some way you are bad or wrong and need to change to be adequate.  Intentions are like permission to take care of yourself.  They say that you are deserving and worthy just the way you are.  I've also learned over the years that there's less of an impact if I focus on the minutiae like read 25 books.  I am more motivated if I set my sights on the big picture like read more because you love it, and go from there.

No Facebook.  I never was active or very connected there, but it started to become clear to me that the whole notion lacked authenticity.  It is a public forum often for what I believe should be kept private.  Once the allure of reconnecting with old friends and classmates wears off (because let's be honest...it does), it is often nothing more than a timeline (Facebook's own lingo) for where you are and who you are with.  When we over-share, we are being inclusive with our exclusivity.  Translated to say: I want you all to know that I am here (insert restaurant, resort, or party) with him or her and you are not.  Hmmm?  Now I realize that not all Facebookers use the site this way, and if you have a business or group like a school group, there are definite benefits to the exposure, but I also realize it is no longer for me.

The realization that the validation I seek is my very own.

Homeland.  We finished the first season over break and now we are 148 of 148 holds for the second.  I LOVE Saul and I'm trying to resist the urge to breakdown and buy it.

Our tree is still drinking.  I'm not ready to take it down just yet.  We are still enjoying it.  I feel sad when I see trees on the curb before the Epiphany.

I received Magical Journey for Christmas.  It couldn't have come at a better time.  I need a dose of Katrina Kenison to get me into the right frame of mind and heart as I enter 2014.  Her words have a way of making my heart tender and open.  Her writing has the tendency to make me look back and then forward so rather apropos.

A short week.  While it was good to get back to it, I am giddy over the fact that ahead lies a weekend with very little to do.