Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Confession

I feel like I have more posts with this title than any other, but still I'm going with it because I am here to do just that...to confess.  It's not something I'm ashamed of or embarrassed by that I have to tell you. It is something I want to let you in on.  Now some of you are likely more experienced and already onto this, but others may still feel funny or strange about what I'm about to admit to...I went to the movies by myself today.  I went to the movies by myself today and I am totally OK with that.  It was fine.  It was fun.  It was oddly empowering.  Well, aside from the fact that it does feel just a little awkward to be crying and not have a companion to offer you Kleenex, but the scratchy concession napkin worked just fine.  And I may have been the only person under 65 at the theater.  For the record, those senior citizens are louder than any theater filled with children.

Sure there are people I could have called to join me, but the only person I really wanted to see August Osage County with was my Mom so I opted to go solo.  And if you know me at all, you will know here is where I tell you that I wasn't really alone, but that's the truth...I wasn't.  I felt my Mom's presence and it was so strong I never wanted the movie to end.  My Mom loved her some Meryl Streep as much as I do. Perhaps, even more.  I thought she was absolutely brilliant in this movie.

I laughed a lot and I cried even more.  It was painfully heartwarming and I just appreciated how messy it was because that is life.  Not perfect and painless and rosy all the time, and definitely often too long just as T.S. Eliot observed.   Critics have been harsh with reviews and some viewers have been disappointed by the ending, which I will not spoil.  Just know that it may have been what I consider the perfect ending because it was honest and true. We love the people who share our genes and we hurt them. We come from them, but must not live of them.  We live. We die. For some, life is too short and for others it is too long.   The end.