Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Long Days, Short Years (12/30)

It's almost 5:00 and we've had a full day.  I think I've driven more miles today than all of last week.  I felt like a chauffeur, and also a tourist in my own town.  I'm done so I'm channeling my inner Grandpa Vic and going with the It's 5 o'clock somewhere sentiment.  I am here with my generous pour and a desperate need for a slice of me time.  Writing is my best me time.  It's cathartic for me to process and reflect.  In doing so I realize that there are so many sweet moments in each day tucked between to dos and accumulated along with miles traveled.

Yesterday Miss Bit and I got pedicures side by side.  She didn't want to...she's a tomboy you know...but then she was glad she did.  So was I because her toes needed some serious work.  Work I didn't have in me.  She must have said thank you two dozen times and was so sweet that she had the attention of all the ladies in the salon.  Those are proud mama moments I can never get enough of : my kids wanting to be kind to and knowing to show respect to others.

T. Bone accompanied us to the mall on a mission: to find his sister a gift for her birthday next week.  He did, and it's sweet.  He's proud.  So am I.  He entered the salon to check on our status and quickly left red faced at the suggestion that he too may want a pedicure.  All those girls.  Ewww! Talking to him about his body parts!  Ewww!   Toes!  Ewww!  He came back a few minutes later with an extra large vanilla malt and pleading eyes, but he never said a word.   My kids showing kindness to one another never gets old either.

On the way to camp this morning, Miss Bit decided she wants to stay as nearby as possible for college, but she also acknowledged that she wants to go to a good vet school.  Then she said, But I've got a long road ahead of me you know.  She's just a week shy of 9 so her dreams can and will change, but I just love that she has them at all.  When I was almost 9, my dreams were Disney Land and Christmas coming faster.

We were a little early picking T. Bone up from his golf tournament today.  We sat watching the links rather aimlessly, and then I eyed this golfer teeing off on the last hole.  What a drive!  Wait...I know this stance, this gait as mamas are want to do, but how is it more young man than boy now?  That's my T. Bone all right.  He looks so comfortable on the course playing this game of rules and finesse and tradition.  He's growing up. Maturing.  I'm so lucky that he is growing into a young man of upstanding character and presence.

It is true that the days can be long and the years short, but they're both made up of moments.  Moments I find joy in and will treasure forever.


No comments: